• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 Ton Wrecker

we are going to look at a 5 Ton Wrecker on thursday with plans to purchase if it checks out ok . is there anything in particular that i should look for as far as the crane assembly? this truck was used for unloading and loading trucks for a few years. i am asking this as i have'nt been around these very much. any heads up on this will help a lot . its 200 miles from me so it should be interesting if i get to bring it home. thanks

rizzo

look underneith. at the back of the pto power divider there is a rubber boot that the hydo pump pto shaft comes out of. Check the condition of the rubber boot. I hear it is very exspensive to change (I think over $1000, but not positive). I also think that changing the boot is alot cheaper if you have a two piece pto shaft that goes from the power divider to the hydro pump.
So if the boot is bad and you have a two piece shaft, probably OK. If its a one piece shaft you are gonna have to do some more research before you buy.

while your underneath check all the pto shafts and universal joints and pillow blocks so you don't run into suprise repairs after you buy.
the rear pto probably won't engage unless the engine is running.
before testing the rear pto check and see that the rear winch is turned off. the control levers are right next to the winch. The levers get bumped and can start reversing as soon as you engage the pto.

take lots of pictures and post them so we can see.

citizensoldier

Getting 5 ton home???

Hey Dave how are you? This is Lane ,Brian M's buddy. Well I just found out I bought a 5 ton dump truck in Page, Nebraska. Any ideas on how to get it home? Is this something you can do?
Here is the story on the truck. It ran good and then blew a head gasket. Keep in mind this is a town of 120 people. A local (mech??) fixed it and then it blew again. He did not have the head milled so they think the head was not flat so thats why it blew again. Anyway I found out about this through a friend talked with the town and put a bid on it for grins. Well I got it... For what I paid I can not loose but I have to get it here. My friend thinks I could fix the head and drive it home. Thats a long trip in a five ton with lots of oportunity for things to go wrong. Not sure I want to do that. Anyway give me a shout at 1cu812@charter.net and we can chat about ideas on getting this beast to Northern Michigan... Oh it has a winch on it too... :shock: :eek: :roll:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend that you look at the hydraulic lines. They often are leaking, or at least weaping. Not too expensive to fix...but messy!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a alumium check valve tucked between the operators station and the boom. It keeps the boom in place while extended. They milled two whench flats to install or remove it. The material is vey thin at those flats and cracks easily. Espacilly when removing it to replace a hyd hose. This valve is difficult to find. Memphis had take offs for $100. The problem is they crack when removing them. So we had to make a new body in the lathe for stainless. No more worries

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alrightythen. Sorry I missed the PM to chat Dave. Glad to hear you got the wrecker. I can't imagine life without my 53 yr old tiny wrecker.

thanks Kenny. its not what i was told as far as condition but the seller adjusted the price to a fair amount. i am happy with the outcome. runs great. sheet metal is kinda rough and a lot of the wiring harnesses are missing. so the hunt is just beginning for things for this unit!! by the way, what is the front axel engage/disengage control located by the drag winch controls for ? seems a little strange to put it there. but what do i know this is my FIRST military wrecker.

rizzo

it is not the front axle switch. the wrecker has an auto sprag system for the front axle.
on the winch controls there is an air operated clutch. pull the lever and it is just like pushing the clutch pedal. the other air switch is the cable tensioner.

5tonpuller

I have had mine for 4 years now and use it well.
You can over load the boom and bend it if you try to pick to much with it all the way out. Make sure the out riggers move well, they are a big help. Be carefull what you wish to pick.
It could be heavy. LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks