• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

weird gun mount on King Kong gun truck

Driver523

Yep---Same--Same----We call them ACAV mounts---They were on APCs and probably other armor-----They helped get the gun over the sides better--easyer to get into the ditches alongside the truck--------Driver

Driver523

That photo of King Kong is a model of the truck done by James Lyles---A really great model---On the actual truck that front hatch was welded open with another piece of armor so the driver could get into the rear or visa versa-----Driver

B3.3T

They used those on the V-100 turrets as well. Seems like most E1's had an M2HB mounted that way.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the answers, guys - I think you are right. I think this truck had an angled bracket going from driver's side wall to back wall, and the ACAV mount/tank mount (whatever you call it) was mounted facing toward the rear quarter, with a M23 cradle and .50 cal on it.

Driver523

Sammy that has the Ace of Spades fabed these mounts when he built the Ace, here are some photos of the ACAV mount that Mark sent Sammy for reference----Maybe one day I'll post all the stuff I have on the build of Ace and Widow---------------------it would sure be usfull in the future------Driver

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent pics, Uglyranger! Nothing like close ups of the actual gun truck to show what's what.

Look closer in the second pic - see the slotted barrel support on the M2 Browning? Those are WWII-style Navy .50 cals, that were "borrowed" from the Navy. The Army and USMC ones all had circular holes in the support.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks