• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Fuel Mileage Query

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M880 folks, I'm looking for a no BS assessment on highway fuel mileage of your M880 trucks. Anyone ever checked their mileage?

Thanks,
M880less if FL

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better mileage then a tank :shock:
How's that saying go?....If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :lol:

Seriously,

With the M882 empty I get 40 mpfg
With the M882 towing I get 36 mpfg
The M886 gets between 32 & 36 mpfg

*mpfg = miles per four gallons

Ok, 8 to 10 mpg :cry:

FrankUSMC

I am with Bob on this one. When we had them in the Marines, we complained about the poor gas mileage.......and we did not even have to pay for the gas!
One of the few, Frank

McGuyver

I've seen fuel mileage ranging from 10 to 12 miles per gallon, with the upper end being on the freeway and the lower around town. My friend who drove a W200 club cab with a 440 saw 8-10 mpg respectively.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That answers my question nicely. No cheaper to drive an M880 than a deuce. I'll bet I could get 9 mpg in my tractor with an M880 in tow.

N1265

I drive my M880 down the highway at least once a week back and forth to work

It has 64k orginal miles on it and consintanly gets 9.8 mpg, empty.... with the cargo cover up.

dementedmopar

I dont own a M880 but I do own a '90 W250 with a 318 and i get around 12 on the highway, 10 towing highway and probly around 8-9 around town but thats normally hard driving... I realize that the M880 and my W250 are almost the same... minus the paint... for now

On the MMMT's M880, the fuel gauge doesn't work. Put a note on the visor that the range is about 140 miles on a full tank (allowing for errors). Last trip figured out to right around 9 mpg. But I'm running a truck that sat for a least 2 years here and 3-4 years where it was before without doing much more than changing the oil. Don't know what difference a tune-up might make.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob H said:
Better mileage then a tank :shock:
How's that saying go?....If you have to ask, you can't afford it. :lol:

Seriously,

With the M882 empty I get 40 mpfg
With the M882 towing I get 36 mpfg
The M886 gets between 32 & 36 mpfg

*mpfg = miles per four gallons

Ok, 8 to 10 mpg :cry:
How about 16 to 18 mpg (diesel), at 60 mph in a M886? Easy: with GM's 6.2 l/TH400! :D

Gerhard

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Elwenil said:
Gm diesel in a Dodge?!?! Sacrilege!
At least I didn't stuff it into a Ford! :D

I'm very happy with my combo, and the environment, too! I'm planning to install a heated two tank system to run on 100% soybean oil which is 75% of the diesel cost!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Man, I gotta do something fast!
I got 6.5 mpg with the M886 last weekend going to Hillman's VJ day on Saturday,
and the Yankee Air Force "fly in' in Oscoda Sunday.

I'm pulling the carb for a rebuild and checking the spark distribution equipment, before I take it to Clare on the26th

(All locations in Mid Michigan, USA)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks