• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bidding on an M35 in NY

Lax

Hey guys. I'm a newbe and I plan on bidding on an M35 at Ft. Drum. I would appreciate it if no one bid against me if possible. This will be my first Duce and it will be a project for me and my 73 year old dad who drove one in the army. It means a lot to us. It will be our project for a while. Any advise would certinly be welcomed! Thank you everyone. The duce is Lot Number 3480 72 AM General and is NON-TURBO if that helps :D

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not going to bid against you, but I think you are fooling yourself if you think that people who read this list won't bid against you. Remember...as others have pointed out previously...there are many people who are not on this list that read it. My suggestion...if you want a particular truck, don't even mention it. For every one guy that will avoid a truck because someone asks them to, there are two or three guys that will still bid on it. I am not accusing anyone in particular...just a word of wisdom. Good luck!

Bruce

Lax

Bruce,
Thanks. I understand that is a risk. I also understand that there are most likely a lot of people that will bid on these trucks that never vist this web site too.

I'm hoping that since it is a non-turbo it may not be as attractive to most people. Thanks again.

Armada

That's a good point Bruce. I also try not to flag something I want, wether on GL, Ebay, etc. Don't know if it makes a difference, but with my luck I figure I'd make someone that wants it worse than me aware of the item if I mentioned it. There are many more unregistered people that cruise this site than there are registered members. I don't worry so much about the members, as I do the unregistered.

mangus580

Yanno.... a thought here, to help the people that would like to still post what they are bidding on, I will turn this section into a members only section.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like that plan,Mike! Thanks! :D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to bid on the deuce on E bay, the one in Lafargrville, NY. Tell you about it after auction. Thanks to all, for any help. Eric 2cents

LAX- I hope you get it! I'll help you when your ready!

jatonka

Members, as bad as we want deuces, I know it's hard to do but please remember, no SF 97's and no title documents mean no plates in NY. And, for what it's worth, all of us bidding on a particular truck because it's just what we want is what's driving up the prices. In 5 years I've watched the average price go from $800-$1000 to about $3000-$4000 just because of the single buyers. Ask Vito in NJ sometime how hAPPY he is with his truck from Drum. He thought He was really saving money over buying from a dealer till he saw the truck. For what it's worth, one of the men at Drum knew his time was coming for a loss of job. so He started working for GL for about 5 months on interm basis. Soon as his job ended, he contacted Linda Amos at GL for hiring package so he could start on July 3 as GL employee. Surprize, It had to be bid internally and a man from VA. decided to take the job. Rob is screwed. One more classic for GL. Please, if we don't bid at all, THEY are screwed. I wrote a letter to them, told them I will not bid again until SF-97's are issued on vehicles. If we pull together, we will win. Remember, GL is owned as a private company by a relative of Hillary Cluinton, Al Gore and a French man who lives in France. Remember, they are supposed to give US Govt. 80 % of the gross income from auctioons. It turns out to be .5% Factoid from 2003 DRMO financial report to DRMO officers at bases. John Tennis

luapmonn

.5% of $4000 is $20. I find it hard to belive that. I keep reading about shill bidding that people on this forum accuse GL of and then in the same thread someone wants to bid on an item without competition. I have yet to see any proof that GL is shill bidding. I think that the prices have gone up because GL markets a whole lot better than DRMS did. I like to get a good deal just like everybody else but this is a free market and if people will pay $3-4000 or more for a truck without looking it over then they are free to feel foolish when it is junk. I know I am rambling but one of my peeves about auctions is the "fever" people get. I have been watching and buying on Ebay for years and will watch 15 people bid up 50% over what someone sells the same item "buy it now" .I paid $3000 for my M35A2 at Macdill knowing it was a gamble as it had no radiator but I did good.I runs excellent. 6900 miles on it I know is right because the tires date to 1982 just like the truck. Ramble ramble ramble....

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Folks, lets not confuse the two here. Asking a group of friends not to bid on an item is not shill bidding, bidding up your own stuff is. I know I've accused them of it and I've always made is known it's my opinion. It is 2 different things

mangus580

John, and others here in NY. I think I found a loophole :)

NY is a title state only for vehicles newer than 1973. Most GL deuces dont qualify for title. Matter of fact, mine is a 'transferable' registration. Check out this Form from the NYS DMV on how one would register a non-title vehicle in NY without a transferrable registration. I think from what I am seeing, you will need the following:

• Said form
  • a Bill of sale
  • Vin Verification (picture, rubbing, or statement from police)
  • Completed MV82 (registration application)
  • identification
  • insurance card
The downfall I see, looking at this form is this:

If the non-titled vehicle, boat, snowmobile or ATV was in your possession for less than one year, and it was never registered by the former owner, or the former owner lost the registration and cannot obtain a duplicate, the former owner must complete the MV-51B and MV-51/Bill of Sale

I am not sure if they will let it slide or not. Also, you may find a friendly person at DRMO willing to help with it. (or GL for that matter). Worst case, ya gotta sit on it for a year ;-)

luapmonn

I just did a Google search "define:collusion" The fifth definition is "The unlawful practice whereby two or more people agree not to bid against one another so as to deflate value or when the auctioneer accepts a fictitious bid on behalf of the seller so as to manipulate or inflate the price of the property" I don't want to see this forum or anybody using it to get into trouble but the law sees shill bids and asking someone not to bid against you as collusion. I have nothing against asking someone not to bid on an item I want but it is unlawful and you should know it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks