• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151--brake question

gem1410

The jeep I am working on is an M718 ambulance and I have to replace all the brake wheel cylinders----the front wheel cylinders are 3/4 inch and the rears are 1 inch --I understand the m151a2 has 1 inch wheel cylinders in the front and 3/4 inch in the rear--would I be better off using the A2 configuration--I never have any weight in the vehical--thanks George

Last edited:

cstaup

If you have an A1, stick with the original, simply for the next probable owner. It gets kinda confusing when there are mods done that aren't IAW thw TM.

Just my 2 cents

rickf

I don't generally post on the 151 board over here but I just happened by. I am usually on the G503 or G838. You have to get those cylinders OUT of that configuration!! NOW!! You can go with 3/4 all around or 1" in front and 3/4 in rear but what you have there is a prelude to a crash since the rear wheels will lock long before the fronts. That is why they went to 1" in front and 3/4 in the rear to prevent the rears from locking before the front.

Rick

poof

Dirty Hippie
I don't generally post on the 151 board over here but I just happened by. I am usually on the G503 or G838. You have to get those cylinders OUT of that configuration!! NOW!! You can go with 3/4 all around or 1" in front and 3/4 in rear but what you have there is a prelude to a crash since the rear wheels will lock long before the fronts. That is why they went to 1" in front and 3/4 in the rear to prevent the rears from locking before the front.

Rick

Please stop by more often... your vast Knowlage is very welcome here too..you know
J.P.

rickf

I would love to JP but I already post on 2 M-151 forums, 1 automotive master technician forum, 1 Diesel truck forum plus all the normal stuff associated with a house plus a full time job. There are so many hours in a day!

Feel free to send anyone over but don't run afoul of the others on here.

Rick

gem1410

Thanks for the info--The m151 came from the military that way--I guess who ever put the 1 inch cylinder on just did not care as the other rear was a 3/4 inch--thanks George

rickf

What you experienced is exactly why there were so many TB's put out and papers written on how the wheel cylinders MUST be installed correctly. What you have there is especially dangerous because it will lock one real wheel and pull the vehicle around sideways. That WILL be a rollover no matter whether it is an A1 or A2.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks