• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5 ton from Nebraska to Northern Michigan??

citizensoldier

Hey Dave how are you? This is Lane ,Brian M's buddy. Well I just found out I bought a 5 ton dump truck in Page, Nebraska. Any ideas on how to get it home? Is this something you can do?
Here is the story on the truck. It ran good and then blew a head gasket. Keep in mind this is a town of 120 people. A local (mech??) fixed it and then it blew again. He did not have the head milled so we/they think the head was not flat so thats why it blew again. Anyway I found out about this through a friend talked with the town and put a bid on it for grins. Well I got it... For what I paid I can not loose but I have to get it here. My friend thinks I could fix the head and drive it home. Thats a long trip in a five ton with lots of oportunity for things to go wrong. Not sure I want to do that. Anyway give me a shout at 1cu812@charter.net and we can chat about ideas on getting this beast to Northern Michigan... Oh it has a winch on it too...
Can anybody give me a price on doing this? Any info would be helpfull. I guess I have joined the big boy club now. I hope to do a full resto on it and use it for our museum. :roll: :lol: :) :shock: I havent told momma yet!!!! Uh O I may have to live in it for a summer....or two.... :evil:

derby

I have ben looking for trucking also. what i have found is most commercial trucking runs $3.50 to $4.50 a mile x your distance=boat load of cash! on the flip side my dad had a tractor (8000lbs on low bed ) hauled from florida to Mi. for a grand .if i hear of something else i will let you know.how long can you store it there? maybee you could tell your wife you inherited it from great uncle bob!

citizensoldier

I think it will still be worth it

I purchased this for a realy good price so shipping should not sting to much. I need to find someone that does not want to come home empty. This has worked out for me in the past so I am hoping for the best. I can store it there as long as I need to so that takes some of the pressure off. How much does a M52A2 weigh? I like your idea about uncle Bob. :p
With the small stuff I just hide it in the back woods and she does not notice. But this thing will not hide good... Hmmmm I do have a tent lighting kit and some old tin from a pole barn... Now I just need a heat soarce and I think I could get through one winter but it would be a long one... :cry: ... What works for you ? Flowers? List of all you can use it for?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a set of brand new set of fiberglass troop seats, aluminum bows and a new 3-color camo vinyl top for the dump. I had this installed on my M929A1 before I sold the truck and it has been sitting in my garage ever since. I only had the troop seats/bows/cargo cover on the truck for 6 months and almost all of that time it was under cover in a barn. I'll take $900 for the entire kit. I have more in it... If you are interested, let me know.

Bruce
Olney, MD

-----------

1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1988 M977
1989 M101A2
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1963 M332 (2)

NEIOWA

I think it will still be worth it

citizensoldier said:
I purchased this for a realy good price so shipping should not sting to much. I need to find someone that does not want to come home empty. This has worked out for me in the past so I am hoping for the best. I can store it there as long as I need to so that takes some of the pressure off. How much does a M52A2 weigh? I like your idea about uncle Bob. :p
You going to be able to reduce for transport (remove gravel shield, canvas/hardtop)? If not truck is 111" high and you need dropdeck trailer.
TM says 22760lb for M51 dump w/winch

derby

You could buy the trucktractor and trailer on e-bay and get it yourself.and when the wife wants to know why you bought it ,you can tell her you need it to pick up your dump truck in NE. if youre going to be in the hot seat might as well make it worthwile! at least if you get tired of the view you can move it some where else. try to come up with something like "well honey i know how much you wanted that new landscaping,we could haul all our own mulch,stone,dirt.think of the money we will save!!!!

citizensoldier

Lawn art

If I bought a trucktractor and trailer I better stay on the road with it. Well atleast until the divorce is final and to come home and get my stuff. As for landscaping? Her idea of that would be filling it all with dirt and planting flower over them. That pink and yellow clashes to much with all my OD.
I should be honest my wife has been pretty good about things. I have not told her about the M51A2 and probably wont until it arrives here. :roll:
I have purchase allot of stuff to sell but when I get it here I end up needing it and can't let go of it. For example I have ten military trailers in the yard right now, along with 4 M37's. Her answer to that is you can only pull one at a time... :wink:
I just picked up a full set of manuals for the M51 and am doing some research about changing the head. Any advice from you pro's? I have never even turned a wrench on a diesel so its all up hill from here. Can any of you give me a run down on what to check, drain, replace before I try and start it? Ughhh... Nebraska! What the hell was I thinking?? At least there is no puch to get it out of a town of 120 people... :D

citizensoldier

Still need this done...

I am still going to need this hauled in the future. I recieved one price for $1800 and one for $2000.. If any of you guys can do this let me know.
They can push it on with big tractor at the loading dock and I will make arrangements here to get it off if you dont have ramps on the trailer.
If there is someone else out there that can do it for $1800 give me a shout. I may be able to arrange for a pick up here in Boyne City for the trip back depending on what direction you are going.
Thank you , Lane

derby

RE: Still need this done...

Citizensoldier,give this guy a call 1-419-466-5809 he regularly goes to Tx.and said his partner might go to nebraska.his name is Todd.he is also looking for two steer axles two and a half or five ton.(maybe he would knock a large part of the bill off if you had some?)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks