• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DRMO closings

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Fort Drum DRMO today. I talked with Rob and he said he just lost his job. The nearest DRMO to me is going to be in P.A.. I don't remember if he said it was Mechanicsburg or Chambersburg, but there are some major DRMO closeings happening. It looks like the 6/26/06 auction will be the last one at Fort Drum!

FrankUSMC

Same here. They are closing the DRMO at Camp Lejeune....now get this, the "PLAN" is to truck all the gear to Fort Bragg (about 4 hours away). Right now, Fort Bragg has about 80 items going up for auction, Camp Lujeune has under 800!!! Our tax dollars running this gear down to another DRMO.
Today I was at Cherry Point's DRMO. I walked over to the big scrap hoppers the scrap dealers bring in. One had boxes and boxes (NEW< NEVER OPENED) of metal shelf units. All the gear that was being bought in was going into the scrap hoppers.
I have seen them do this to trailers also, just drop them into the scrap hoppers.
One of the few, Frank

NEIOWA

The other part of the story. Units/activities that former hauled turnin items to the nearest DRMO (usually within 2-4hr max) will now have the "option" of holding on site for the DRMS listing period. Jury is out on how this is going to work out. The closed DRMOs are apparently going to have one person remaining to input data. One part timer to crossdock smaller items for shipment to the regional DRMO. For example Rock Island and Great Lakes will be shipping stuff to COLUMBUS OHIO. One of the most moronic things DOD/DRMS has dreamed up. Going to save a lot of $ on DOD civilian wages. Freight? Whats freight? $3.00/gal diesel???

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad, those scrap contracts sends lots of goodies to the chipper. Judging from his auctions, I would say that Austin Weber (beltfed34) has a scrap contract. Least he has the mind to market this stuff.

Armada

Selfridge is slated to send their warehouse items to Ohio as well. However, at this point in time, vehicles will still come through them.
The guys there are just as amazed at the decision in doing this. Management tells them GL will make more money this way. :cookoo:

This brings up a question.... Who picks up the tab to ship this surplus to the farther destinations? GL? Somehow I'm thinking we the taxpayers will, hence no skin off GL's teeth. 2cents
aua Not again..... please, at least use the lube.......

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Id imagine that once the DRMO closes, the units that have to turn in items will be told "bring it to XYZ place"

If they want it turned in, it will get there somehow.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I live near to the Richmond, Va. location. I was told that they would still be selling vehicles, but that the vehicles would be sold from their current location. For example x-reserve unit will dispose of their vehicles thru GL at the x-reserve location's facility. Which of course means twice the headache in inspecting and picking up a vehicle. The GL at Richmond has been adding scales recently. I was told that they would still be getting in regualar items though, so maybe it won't be too bad at least here. I am currious also how Norfolk, Va. will work out as they are a big seller of non-vehicles.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Damn..they got two in my area...Benning and Anniston. :shock: I guess they will ship it to Redstone (Huntsville). Your tax dollars at work. :roll:
The more I deal with gooberment bean counters the more it reinforces my long held belief that the intelligence is being bred out of the human race at an alarming rate. :x

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks