• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Euro size / Mog pintel eye help

rhinob

Greetings fellow Mog owners.....

I'm trying to hook my 1944 Army Corps of Engineers trailer to my 1938 FBW (upcoming event). The trailer has a standard (large) pintel eye, and the FBW has a small Mog-type pintel receiver. Anyone adapted their US military trailer to their Mog? If so, what did you do? I won't cut up this beautiful Rocklinger receiver, so my best bet is to acquire or create a proper yoke-with-eye for the trailer. Thoughts? I'll have one made if I have too, but thought there might be something commercially available.

Thanks much.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Den,

Could you just get a spare m35a2 pintle hitch and thread it into the hole, maybe have to enlarge the hole, in the unimog rear?

rhinob

The FBW has a Rocklinger type pintel receiver which is very long as it sits over the spare tire. I'd love provide photos, but my phone cam is acting up.

I've decided to cut the 'eye' off the yoke and replace it with an eye that will fit.

Careful Troll.... 8)

Wolf.Dose

The FBW (Fahrzeugbau Wetzikon) has a standard European 40 mm hitch which WILL NOT fit with the SAE J847 US eye. And the combination is hightly unsafe, for the automatic hitch will not lock up propperly! You need a 40 mm bore eye according that time European standard. European Army trailers made after WWII therefore have an exchangeable eye for the 40 mm bore, which is part of the trailer.
Wolf

rhinob

The FBW (Fahrzeugbau Wetzikon) has a standard European 40 mm hitch which WILL NOT fit with the SAE J847 US eye. And the combination is hightly unsafe, for the automatic hitch will not lock up propperly! You need a 40 mm bore eye according that time European standard. European Army trailers made after WWII therefore have an exchangeable eye for the 40 mm bore, which is part of the trailer.
Wolf
Thanks Wolf. I did notice that, yes. I also noticed that my 1958 Berna 2US would accept both designs.

I have fixed the issue. The yoke has now been cut and modified to fit the Euro size pintel receiver. The FBW (Franz Brozincevic Wetzikon) receiver is a fully articulating Rocklinger pintel design, which I really appreciate. Run the pintel eye into the receiver and it's in position with a hardy "CLICK" which means it's locked.

I'll get better photos once they upload....

Attachments

Wolf.Dose

For the original name of FBW with Franz Brozincevic Wetzikon you are right, however, before it came together with Saurer and becomes a part of Daimler AG, it somewhen was renamed Fahrzeugbau Wetzikon and nowadays they are not a part of Daimler any more, the are under the name of Richter or Ritter, I do not know exactly, I lost the trace.
Wolf
N.B.: The hitch is made by Rockinger, Muenchen, nowaday belonging to Joest, Neu Isenburg.

Last edited:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey rhinob I was wondering after staring at your Avatar pic for a minute.................Is that unit
built on a M-4/5 high speeed tractor chassis? or am I way off base on that one?

Thanks!!!! popacom / BILL in Ky.:confused:

rhinob

Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner!

Bill, that Marder 1 replica was built on an M-5 (I was told anyway) high-speed tractor chassis. I powered it with my grand mother's 1978 Caddy 300 hp V8 and TH400 trans. The thing turned out really quick. Made for some fun reenactments and living history displays. It's currently in a private museum in CA.

Thanks for asking....I'll have to start a thread of the photos I have of it finished.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks