• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transporting kids and adults

1stSarge

Excerpt from ORC 4511.51 (E),(F)

(E) No driver of a truck, trailer, or semitrailer shall knowingly permit any person who has not attained the age of sixteen years to ride in the unenclosed or unroofed cargo storage area of the driver’s vehicle if the vehicle is traveling faster than twenty-five miles per hour, unless either of the following applies:

(1) The cargo storage area of the vehicle is equipped with a properly secured seat to which is attached a seat safety belt that is in compliance with federal standards for an occupant restraining device as defined in division (A)(2) of section 4513.263 of the Revised Code, the seat and seat safety belt were installed at the time the vehicle was originally assembled, and the person riding in the cargo storage area is in the seat and is wearing the seat safety belt;

(2) An emergency exists that threatens the life of the driver or the person being transported in the cargo storage area of the truck, trailer, or semitrailer.

(F) No driver of a truck, trailer, or semitrailer shall permit any person, except for those workers performing specialized highway or street maintenance or construction under authority of a public agency, to ride in the cargo storage area or on a tailgate of the driver’s vehicle while the tailgate is unlatched.

ORC - 4511.51

Last edited:

woodywood

Private
here in tn you have to be at least 16 to ride in the bed of a truck legally
a deuce to me is considered a truck
i don't let anyone ride in the back anyway due to a bad experience with an ex!

woodywood

Private
no i was in a commercial rollback wrecker after hours and she thought she could fly!long story maybe next time im in fl we can talk about it over a couple of cold ones!

1stSarge

how do you guys do during parade? I have seen plenty of people on the back of vehicle during Christmas parade in my hometown.
Excerpt from ORC 4511.51 (E),(F)

(E) No driver of a truck, trailer, or semitrailer shall knowingly permit any person who has not attained the age of sixteen years to ride in the unenclosed or unroofed cargo storage area of the driver’s vehicle if the vehicle is traveling faster than twenty-five miles per hour, unless either of the following applies:

(1) The cargo storage area of the vehicle is equipped with a properly secured seat to which is attached a seat safety belt that is in compliance with federal standards for an occupant restraining device as defined in division (A)(2) of section 4513.263 of the Revised Code, the seat and seat safety belt were installed at the time the vehicle was originally assembled, and the person riding in the cargo storage area is in the seat and is wearing the seat safety belt;

(2) An emergency exists that threatens the life of the driver or the person being transported in the cargo storage area of the truck, trailer, or semitrailer.

(F) No driver of a truck, trailer, or semitrailer shall permit any person, except for those workers performing specialized highway or street maintenance or construction under authority of a public agency, to ride in the cargo storage area or on a tailgate of the driver’s vehicle while the tailgate is unlatched.

ORC - 4511.51

bugwugger

good to know! thanks. so lets see..... a group of military men in the back, on a set of factory soldier seats going doen the highway is ok?? Im guessing that military laws are different?? I myself was curious, I have a family of 6 and the nearest offroad swalller is 60 miles from me. What do others do in this situation other then driving a seperate vehicle?

Flyingvan911

Yes, the military is exempt from a number of laws that we civilians have to follow. Also, with the seats folded down, it leaves a big gap for people to slide through if there is a problem. It's a long way down. I'd say have the family follow in the family car. When you get to your offroad spot, you're good to go. Is it just a big place in the middle of nowhere or a managed trail? If it's managed, they may not allow riders in the back.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had people in the back several times but I'll admit it's not a really good idea. What worries me is the liablity of somebody getting hurt. I watched the video posted of the guy carrying people in the back going through a mudbog and just cringed. It sure looked like alot of fun but the people were bouncing around in the back pretty good.

It's sad but the lawyers are slowly taking all the fun out of life.

Stan Leschert

Parades are ok. If you are transporting on the road, all passengers must be provided with seat belts. Then the question is, do you have a liscence for the number of passengers that you desire to transport. Our M-135 is equippped with 8 seat belts. 2 front, 6 rear.
Here in B.C. , if you are transporting over 8 passengers, you require a class 4 ticket (chauffeur/ taxi). Over 15 pax, it's a class 2 bus drivers liscence.

You will probably have very similar regs where you are.

If you don't have large enough insurance on your truck, the answer is no pax!

No how, No way!

BTW up here, the Military is specifically prohibited from transporting troops over the road in a Deuce, unless in states of emergencies. All other times, on public roads, the troops must ride in a bus.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks