• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Harbor freight to the rescue

gem1410

I removed the intake and exaust manifolds from my m151a1 that has been stored inside since I bought it in 1982 at a base in NJ--I noticed the intake valve stems were carboned up and loaded with sludge--I rembered at Harbor Freight they had a small top loading sand blasting gun for sale and they also sold fine ground wallnut shells--I bought the gun and the shells -- within 5 minuets of work all intake valves looked great--I blasted each valve when it was closed and covered all openings----the wallnuts will burn off if any get into the cylinder and the shells soft----It was the first harbor tool that exceded all expectations-------very handy and the cheap--the gun was $16 and the shells are $25 for 25lbs--I used about 1 pound for the whole job---good luck with your projects

Attachments

armytruck63

Looks like a very useful tool.

I don't know how you could have an M151A1 in storage for 28 years and not drive it! It looks like you prepped it well for storage.

jamesfrom180

LOL I use that tool alot. Excellent for quick weld repair prep work. Even etched my groomsman's gifts with that thing. Glass decanters with my wedding date with three good friends kinda hedges the bet on not missing an anniversary. Lizard bedding at pet stores is crushed walnut also use it in the tumbler all the time. Fireball, I never had the squirrel problem.rofl

Please post a close up of the indicator switch. Love the MUTT. I wish my M38a1 was in that shape.

Last edited:

gem1410

Yes--a pad lock was used on the pipe so you could not shift it--orginal camo pattern and colors--I went over some of it with Arveo--looked real interesting when I first saw it--bought three 151s that time--paid by the pound as they were listed in a scrap sale at the base--I paid around $170 for all 3 --had to cut the first 2 but it was getting late so they told me to stop cutting this one and get my stuff out of there--that was in august 1982--a very good day

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harbour freight has some great stuff!
yeah but there warranty sucks it might just be the store here but it always takes a month to get it replaced when they first opened here they break open a set and replace it now they have to order it . A nd their extended warranty only covers 1 time and you have to buy another warranty what a crock 2cents

gem1410

The store I go to is busy and they have a big stock--they do whatever you want--about 1/4 of the stuff does not work well and I bring it back for a refund

Hightechken

Harbor Freight Tools IS a great place to get good deals on tools and equipment. Do check magazine ads for the 20% off coupons, And the other various coupons. A quick search online will get stuff for 50 to 60% off. Great prices!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just visited the local Harbor to pick-up a few things and danged if I didn't see that gun but figured it's price is way too cheap to be of any real use--- look how wrong ya' can be?!

In fact, I need a rig like that for some light rust removal. How much air does it require? My compressor is only a floor-dragger Craftsman about 20 years old... don't know its output.

And BTW, the one photo looks like you've got a serious crack on intake there... maybe HF has a nice little welder we could all use!

Good luck on that project

asgtoolman

Harbour freight has some great stuff!

I don't know if I would trust their tools if I were trying to make a living with them, but they sure are GREAT for weekend projects and less frequent uses!
Never had a warranty problem; the manager will take a part off a display item for me to repair small problems--just had him do that for me last weekend when the pop-off valve on my 90# capacity sand blast tank failed in middle of a project.

Last edited:

Rthomas

I bought a Napa torque wrench a while back, the next day i was at HF and they had a torque wrench that is identical for about $60 less

Whitey

Love Harbor Freight. Mom hates it when my dad's headed there cuz she knows he'll be gone a long time and come back with a trunkload of stuff. Doesn't complain too much though cuz the stuff is soo cheap. btw, good place to get needle scalers, which are excellent for getting that peeling paint out of the nooks and crannys of deuce beds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks