• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a M274 Mule Questions

WPNS421

I am looking to buy a Mule but would like some advise. I will be using the Mule for shows and parades and riding in the yard. My question, 2 wheel or 4 wheel steer? Can I add a second seat on the front beside the driver and will it change the driving characteristics. I notice that a lot of the mules for sale are either in California or Texas, does anyone know of one for sale in the Eastern US. The prices are all over the place, some sell for $3.2K for a project to a complete as high as $11.5K, am I dreaming by thinking I can find a good machine that is mechanically very good but might need a paint job, between $4.5K to $6.0K. I need to find someone who might be interested in apartial trade plus cash. Am I dreaming or is this posible. Need some help. Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
4-6K seems reasonable, depending on some condition issues. I have 2 wheel steering and I occasionally wish it was more maneuverable, but I am not so unhappy with the 2 wheel steering that I have to modify it to 4ws. Mechanically, I have been very impressed with my mule. I ran it all winter long in pretty harsh conditions and it was 100% reliable. I have fouled 2 spark plugs, in one years time. I am running the Champion XMD21 plugs.

I only have one seat, I may add a passenger seat eventually. The whole setup is kinda pricey.

asgtoolman

4,000 to 6,000 is a reasonable price for a non-butchered mule. That's what I paid for mine, and most people would have only put new tires on it and driven it as it was.
I used mine for one day at my lake house running thru some woods and decided to convert to 4 wheel steer; I thought it was useless for what I wanted with 2 wheel steer.
Converting to 4 wheel steer can be done in a day with the kit from Bill Watson Mules.
I ended up COMPLETELY disassembling my machine, sandblasting it piece by piece, repainting it, replacing everything that could possibly be worn, adding second seat and footbasket with dual headlights, adding backup lights, re-doing wiring, etc, etc, etc and probably have $10,000 in it plus my time for 4-5 months. I always get carried away, but don't want to have problems in the foreseeable future when I finish a project.
Bill Watson and Mechanical Mules Of America are GREAT resources!!
There are a couple of Mules on eBay right now

WPNS421

Thanks for the info Doghead, My wife has driven yours and loved it and that is the reason we want one. I glad to hear that it starts and runs well in the winter. The Mule will belong to my wife, she's been infected with the green disease, she has a M1010 and a M38A1 with a trailer. If you hear of anyone wanting to sell I would be interested. Thanks again.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am looking to buy a Mule but would like some advise. I will be using the Mule for shows and parades and riding in the yard. My question, 2 wheel or 4 wheel steer?
I like 2WS-to me the 4WS models feel funny at any pace above a brisk walk. The downside is the turning radius on the 2WS models is roughly equivalent to a deuce. Try to drive both and decide for yourself.

Can I add a second seat on the front beside the driver and will it change the driving characteristics.
You can add a second seat (without permanently modifying the mule as well) and it doesn't change the characteristics of the vehicle at all. I've driven mine with and without-no difference. See pictures below. Maccus built it-he built a small headache rack which the second seat mounts to. 4 screws the and rack is gone, leaving you in the stock single seat configuration.

I notice that a lot of the mules for sale are either in California or Texas, does anyone know of one for sale in the Eastern US.
PM SS member "Charlie"-he's in Alabama and he's tuned in to the Mule hobby.

Attachments

WPNS421

I like 2WS-to me the 4WS models feel funny at any pace above a brisk walk. The downside is the turning radius on the 2WS models is roughly equivalent to a deuce. Try to drive both and decide for yourself.

You can add a second seat (without permanently modifying the mule as well) and it doesn't change the characteristics of the vehicle at all. I've driven mine with and without-no difference. See pictures below. Maccus built it-he built a small headache rack which the second seat mounts to. 4 screws the and rack is gone, leaving you in the stock single seat configuration.

PM SS member "Charlie"-he's in Alabama and he's tuned in to the Mule hobby.
Beautiful machine, I am really envious, really nice job on the seat anf headache rack very well done. I will cantact Charlie if I can find him on the members list Thanks

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Beautiful machine, I am really envious, really nice job on the seat anf headache rack very well done. I will cantact Charlie if I can find him on the members list Thanks
Oh, I can't take any credit for the condition of the mule-Maccus did all the work. All I've done was a clutch replacement (pressure plate collapsed), replaced brakes, replaced a front pinion seal and finished wiring up the headlight Maccus installed.

But thanks nonetheless :-D

Attachments

asgtoolman

I drive my 4 wheel steer on secondary roads [paved and dirt] around my neighborhood at "full speed" and it does not feel funny at all. A passenger does not change anything-- just remind them to HOLD ON!!!! The lack of suspension creates some real bouncing at any speed and while the driver has the steering wheel to hold on to and the steering shaft to brace against, the passenger has almost nothing!!!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you have to trade? I lke the 4ws. Its almost a must in my opinion. Here is another wrinkle for you. My mule is the 4 cylinder Willys motor version. A little more rare. Some people don't care for the 4cylinder but I love it. Runs quieter and seems to have more power. I have never had a problem out of it.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, you will need an 8' bed. See pics below. The Dodge is a 8'.

Attachments

WPNS421

No, you will need an 8' bed. See pics below. The Dodge is a 8'.
Thanks for the info and the picture, I will be picking up an A5 from David Kelone in Gilbert next week and wasn't too sure. I guess I will hook up the toy hauler and the trailer. I have a 2000 Volvo and a 25ft trailer. Oh well I am also looking for a M35 parts truck with a good title, we need the frame for our new winter project. Would you know anyone who has such a beast?

asgtoolman

A mule is 49" wide and 96" long plus the foot-basket [removeable] and weighs about 850#
David Kelone is a good guy; never met him, but have done business with him.

gunboy1656

There is pics on the site of the mule being carried in the bed of an M105 and even an M332 ammo trailer. The ammo trailer has the tailgate down to hold the mule.

I like this thread, I am trying to learn all I can about the mule, since starting a 106mm rebuild. Will be in the market for one probably next year.

WPNS421

Thanks gents for all the positive comments on Dave, everything i have heard is excellent, except for a couple comments about not leaving your beer under guard and key.. I hear he also picks up all the empties afterwards. I think it has to do with being a southern boy. With all the positive comments i've had I will be picking up my new Mule in Gilbert.

triggertime

I just hauled a mule 750 miles in the back of my crew cab Silverado with a short bed. I backed it in and the front wheels were about 5 inches on the tailgate. Didn't have any problems. Just strap it in so it doesn't do a header on the freeway going 80.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks