• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

U joint Question

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I threw a universal joint on my 41 M2-4 while at Carlisle last month. I pulled out the rear drive shaft and was able to use the front wheel drive. When I went to get a new u joint I find these are as rare as hens teeth. But I also found something more rare. The original straps were spot welded to the caps. Has anyone seen this before on older vehicles? New u joints do not have straps, no one has them. I will have to grind off one strap from the old cap and salvage the one that lost a cap. Why are these welded and can I get away with just not spot welding them to the cap? I am stumped and need your help on this one.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you post a picture of what you have.

I know I noticed U Joint u bolts somewhere on-line recently.

Have you tried a local Fleet Pride shop?

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Eric Fleet Pride was my first stiop, they sent me to several specialty shops. I did get an old spicer number and found 1 NOS joint in Califirnia. However it is a standard u joint and with standard caps. I will take pictures in the morning. I did find an International (IHC) hard to find parts guy who rebuilds the old u joints and sells them. I am scarfing up everyone I can find. Spicer has not made any of these since the late 60's. I will take pictures and post tomorrow or later this evening.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here is what the original u joints were. I got this picture from another owner. I would pay dearly for the one in the pictute..Now Spicer made compatible joints, that were identical but the straps were modified by spot welding them onto the caps. I have one of the last spicers. The one in my truck that let lose was a spicer and not an IHC like this one. Having a 70 year old truck is challenging...

Attachments

Nonotagain

I need help on this one guys. That is why I am reviving it. You out there Papabear??
Dudley,

If need be I can fabricate the caps for you. I'm not fast since it would be a late evening job for me, but I can make them.

The caps with the straps spot welded on were also used on some PTO shafts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you post up the part number and brand? Maybe a few of us can try searching a bit on the net.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That's new to me-but I will say I have had really good luck with my local driveshaft shop. They've been able to source all sorts of oddball 1930's and 1940's stuff for me in the past.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks