• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gummed Carb

Stan Leschert

Here's a question for the guys who have restored Gassers.
What product do you use, when cleaning very gummed up Carbs?

My new project isn't Military, just a 26 year old Jap bike. Yamaha XJ1100.
When I drained out the float bowls (4 of them) the old gas (only 4 years un-disturbed), oozed out greener than CF CARC! The smell was almost bad enough to give me a body stone!

I would like to benefit from your experience, and try to save myself a world full of hassles, as I try to get these old Mikuni Carbs clean.
I would like to have some thing in the fleet where I can measure Miles per Gallon, not the other way around ..... for a change!

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Strangely, the best parts cleaner I (accidentally) discovered for really nasty, caked-on, baked-on greasy-grease parts is... OVEN CLEANER. Yep, Mom's good old fashioned oven cleaner. BUT--- you will need to take a few precautions and READ THE LABEL FIRST. Try it on some nasty old parts and see what I mean.

JasonS

I found Oxyclean and HOT water extremely effective in removing grease/dirt on an aluminum intake manifold.

Carl_in_NH

Don't use oven cleaner on aluminum - it's got lye in it, and isn't nice. It does work wonders on surfaces with dried oil, varnished fuel, and other crud if you're quick and wash it all off. Also attacks paint, so work quickly.

I do what the other folks do, and have a gallon can of Gumout carb cleaner to dip parts in. Matter of fact, I've got two of them around here I use it so much.

Be careful with the carb cleaner - it will remove the paint from anything it touches. I also use it just for that purpose; dip painted parts in it and soak, come back the next day and the paint comes off in sheets. Works wonders for refinishing small car, truck, and machine tool parts.

ralbelt

In the air cooled business we are trained not to submerse aluminum carbs for more than 2 hours when using carb cleaner. The aluminum is sealed at time of manufacture and submersion over 2 hours can deterioriate the sealant and cause porus issues.
If its been sitting with moisture in it and the aluminum has turned to a white powder it may be a lost cause.

Mikuni's are very sensitive carbs and don't fare well with any type of contamination.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use air brake alcohol. it is VERY cold on the digits, but it strips varnish and crud right off. Plus it won't hurt rubber parts.

Stan Leschert

You guys are the reason why I asked this question.

The answers that I am getting are extremely valuable to me.

"If we knew answers, it wouldn't be called research." Albert Einstien.

Thanks again. Keep the suggestions coming!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, I read this thinking 26 years old... that's old. Then I realized I was just graduating HS then. CRAP....aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks