• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m1008 diesel to gas conversion

m1008-jb

I am very new to the site but I am looking for information about replacing the diesel engine with a 350. Is this a good conversion? What problems can I look forward to, any help would be appreciated.

m1008-jb

I do not know anything about diesel engines and this one needs starter fluid each time it is started. I was told the engines in these trucks did not have much power even when new. I would hate to spend the money to get it fixed and then be disappointed in the
performance.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Visit the CUCV FAQ Tread (CUCV WIki )at the top of the CUCV Forum and download the Technical Manuals.

Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Read the the first few pages of theTroubleshooting section of the TM 9-2320-289-20 manual and then read the section on "hard to start". The manuals are a great resource on fixing most problems.

The truck and engine where designed for a purpose and do it fairly well. They where not designed to be driven at 90mph down the highway.

If you decide to swap engines, you will need to covert the truck to 12v, install new motor mounts, redo the exhaust and spend more money on fuel as the M1008 has very low gearing and will have a max speed of 55-60mph

I would try to fix you truch first before you spend money for a conversion

Last edited:

Lawrence of Arabia

I have three of them. One of them was converted to a civilian cab and I almost pulled out the 6.2 and put in a 454 gas. I am very happy I left it alone. When the 6.2 is maintained properly, it runs great in all 3 of my trucks. I was never a Diesel guy either, but now I have converted. I think fixing your glow plug problem will be much easier than swapping motors. I never new anything about Diesels either, but I learn more every day by having them.

67_C-30

The gearing of a M1008 will yield like 8-9 mpg (at best) and won't like highway speeds much better than the 6.2. The 6.2's get 16 - 18 in the M1008's, and can be easily modded for more power faily cheaply.

As far as the starting issues, I would recommend buying a set of AC Delco 60G glowplugs, and install pushbutton to manually operate the glowplugs. This will cost less than $100, annd willl save a lot of headaches.

m1008-jb

I am wanting to use the truck as a farm truck and it will not see many hwy miles. Will the diesel have enough power to haul alot of weight? I also want to add a dump bed to it as well.

stampy

Well the advice the guys are giving you is great! Look up how to test glow plugs in the search area. It is not too hard to replace them. You can put in a push button setup or just use the glow plug controller if yours is good. Diesels will run on lots of different fuels also vs gasoline only for gas engines. If the truck sits for any length of time you will be glad it's a diesel. The 1008 should pull like crazy and would work well on a farm IMO but the 1009 is better on the highway. Glad to have you on board....Oh and I was never a diesel guy either till I got my first Mercedes 300sd and found out you could burn WVO in it...too cool.[thumbzup]

stampy

Oh and you will save huge amounts of money over the swap out for a gas engine (if it's just the glow plugs or control card) and I believe the diesel will give you better economy and low end torque.

timm831

I've used my M1031 maintenance/contact truck (fully loaded) to pull my M-548 around at the museum when I had to pul the power plant to change the starter. To give you an idea, the 548 is my avatar and she weighs around 15-16,000 pounds.

I can't think of any reason why to change from the 6.2 to a gasser.

rnd-motorsports

I think I would get her running use it You may change your mind! if your going to use as farm truck it will make you think twice. the combination works rather good as is! and no they are not a race truck but a work truck that will do its share and then some. :driver:

m1008-jb

Ok i am convienced I will get some glow plugs and new batteries and see if I can make it start easier. Thanks for the great advice and I will let you know how it turns out. It will be a couple of weeks before I can get to it my schedule is very full at the moment.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which part of Ok are you located in? I'm in OKC. I might be able to help diagnose the truck.

Warthog

m1008-jb

I would love the help but I am in eastern Oklahoma, thank you for the offer. Are the glow plugs easy to install? That will be the first step I will try.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing glow plugs is just as easy as changing sparkplugs in a gas engine. The do sometimes swell on the ends and are hard to pull out of the head though.

You need to make sure your glow plugs are bad before you replace them. It could be your glow plug controler not sending power to the glow plugs.

Seabee15

I am a diesel guy myself, having a TopKick4500 w/6.6 Duramax, 1Ton 6.5TD, and my 6.2.... I will say hands down that the 6.2 is very strong. Its no race car, dont take it over 55mph, it does Excellent At What It Was Designed For. Put a Class V hitch on it and pull the world around (with in reason)

But, in the gasser's defense, i have had the oppurtunity to see a 1008 w/ a 454. Boy what a Hoss of truck. but, with a 454, you have increased fuel consumption and personally i thought it was louder than the 6.2 (if you can believe it). But the 454 pulled like a champ at the truck pulls, and had the support of the almost bullet-proof drivetrain of the m1008.

The thing that you might want to consider is re-gearing the axles (most likely to the tune of 1200-1500) A 3.42 or 3.73 might help you out on the highway. Or if your pockets are really deep, either do a complete transmission conversion to a setup that has a Overdrive (700R4 or 4L80 or modify your stock TH400 with a gear vender Over drive unit (but when you see the price of those, your jaw will drop)

I drive my m1008 everyday 40miles a day, mostly highway, i'm in the right lane, going 55mph, and enjoying every minute of it. If you go over 65mph it sounds like the engine is going to explode!

m1008-jb

Thank you to everyone for the great advice; but after speaking with the guys at the parts store and having no luck with the glow plugs I have decided to go with the 350. There are not many diesel mechanics in my area and they are very expensive. I have a 84 donor vechicle for the wiring and the core for the long block. I am looking at putting 35's or the hummer tires on it if i can find a source for them locally to help with the gearing. It is not going to see the highway much at all so I will not need to go over 55 anyway. It will be a work truck and I can't wait to get it finished!:driver:

tagjeep

I know what you're talking about. Thought about swapping mine out too. But got it running and it's fine for what what I will use it for. I'm going to leave it as is until it blows I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks