• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please help a newbie!

jblueep

I just bought the dump truck below from a city fleet auction, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It sure looks a lot like the vehicles on this site. Can anyone help with identification? It's supposed to be 1989, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help?

jblueep

I just bought the dump truck below from a city fleet auction, but I'm having trouble identifying it. It sure looks a lot like the vehicles on this site. Can anyone help with identification? It's supposed to be 1989, but I'm not sure. Thanks for any help?

M35guy

its 5 ton dump. its got the 10 lug rims, real long fenders instead of the shorter ones the deuce has, I believe there SHOULD be a tag on the dash, made of metal that will have a make, model number starting with M xxx and a build date, or date and location possibly of last rebuild.

jblueep

Thanks for the quick response. When I say I'm a newbie, I really mean it. I don't know anything...as in who makes this vehicle, what type of engine it has or anything. Maybe I'm insane, but I bought it on an online auction for $2,100. It supposedly runs and drives, but I have not seen it in person. I'm going to pick it up on Monday (hopefully) or have it towed (worst case). It's 40 miles from my house. I probably need to get the model # to really know anything right? Thanks again.

jblueep

Thanks for the quick response. When I say I'm a newbie, I really mean it. I don't know anything...as in who makes this vehicle, what type of engine it has or anything. Maybe I'm insane, but I bought it on an online auction for $2,100. It supposedly runs and drives, but I have not seen it in person. I'm going to pick it up on Monday (hopefully) or have it towed (worst case). It's 40 miles from my house. I probably need to get the model # to really know anything right? Thanks again.

Jetnoise400

Well, I'm no expert on 5 tonners, but I'd bet it was built by AM General, and might have a Cummins diesel power plant. If it runs and you got it for $2100, you got a steal of a deal. Lots of free manuals can be had online for the 800 Series trucks, so if I were you, I'd get as many as possible, starting with the operator's manual and start reading up.

But when you get to see it in person, there should be data plates all across the dashboard with lots of info about model, date of manufacture, etc.

jblueep

Thank you again. Where would I look for those manuals? I'll post again when I get all the data off the dash.

Jetnoise400

Well a good place to start is right here on SS. Look under the resources on the front page, click on Technical Manuals, and I believe the operator manual for the M-809 series truck is the one. Lots of other manuals there too. Check it out

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Looks like you got a great deal, congrats. This is the place to come for anything MV related. LOts of great guys that are very knowledgable and willing to help.

jblueep

Thanks for the welcome, and I'll post an update next week once I get this thing home and see if I really got a good deal or not :)

AMGeneral

Please help a newbie

From the looks of the pictures it appears you have yourself a M817 5 ton dump,It should be powered by a NHC250 Cummins inline 6 non turbocharged diesel.It probably will have the later style Ross power steering unit,and is probably one of the better running MV's avaliable.

AMGeneral

derby

jblueep,the TM you need to get started TM 9-2320-260-10.it has all the info on what all those switches and levers do.I would spend some time reading it before you go,has alot of do's and dont's that could save you some grief.congratulations on your fine new rig!! P.S.please list your area.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Congrats, looks like you did ok! :) :driver: [thumbzup] :)

Did you buy it for personal use (i.e. an interest in Historic Military Vehicles) or for business?

M35guy

Lucky for you, you're on a board that is like a military vehicle information library, so if you need help or information of any kind, this is the place to ask. first thing I'd do for that rig, is get it sandblasted and repainted OD or desert tan, and get some G177s on there for shoes instead of NDCC tires.

Great score though, good luck with it.

jblueep

So, I shoud probably take 2 batteries just in case when I go and get it? Thanks for the info.

jblueep

Thank you. I've downloaded the technical manuals (all 4000 pages :) ), and I'll do som reading before I go.

jblueep

clinto, I bought this to initial move around about 1500 yards of dirt on my property (getting out of the floodplan with swimming pool contractor dirt :) )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks