• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Eye Safety

JC Clark

When working around metal, especially when grinding metal, or sanding your vehicle, a pair of safety glasses should be worn. Now dont get me wrong, even with safety glasses, things can still go wrong. However, S & W has come out with a safety pair of glasses that can not be penetrated with a 22 round. There are also safety glasses that suction around your eyes so that nothing can fly in between the glasses.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forget glasses.. Go with googles. I was wearing glasses when grinding, a piece of 1mm long metal flew into my eye, lodging itself 2 mm away from my pupil. It got in thru the gap between my face and the bottom of the glasses..

TedG

I wear goggles and face sheild. I have had my eyes deburred a few times and wearing both solved it for me.

kastein

Personally, after working with some wire wheels, I prefer a face shield. Much better protection imho.
Same here. Wear safety glasses or goggles and a face shield and you are pretty much good to go.

January 2nd, 2010 saw me in the ER with a microscopic fleck of metal 30% of the way through my right cornea. It got there on Dec 31 while I was working on a new front axle for my Cherokee. I was wearing safety-lens prescription glasses, I and all my friends had thought these would be fine... not so. While using the grinder I felt a sudden impact/stabbing pain like someone had punched me hard in the eye. Checked in the mirror and there did not appear to be anything in there because the angle was wrong. After 2 days of worsening symptoms, and periodic checks in the mirror (I kept figuring it would get better on its own, thought I only scratched it), I finally happened to use a mirror with lighting at the right angle and saw it and went to the ER. It cost me a week of work, 3 times daily application of multiple eye ointments and topical steroid eye drops, and approximately 5 thousand dollars in hospital bills. Fortunately, most of that was covered by my insurance company... but not all.

A few months later another fleck got in there, around a full face shield. Fortunately I recognized the feeling the next morning and was able to remove it myself using a sterilized rubber glove wrapped around a smooth-surfaced neodymium magnet out of an old hard drive. Due to that incident I now wear the shield and glasses at the same time.

Look at it this way... you can buy the shield for 3 dollars at horrible freight. I can buy a new one every single day, even days when I don't touch the angle grinder, for the next 4 and a half years before it costs as much as that series of hospital visits did.

98hd

Haven't you guys ever heard of the saftey squint? ;-)

I would like to find some of the saftey glasses w/ the foam seal around the eyes. I don't like the bulky sience class goggles they sell, plus the vent holes allow metal dust in.

kastein

Haven't you guys ever heard of the saftey squint? ;-)

I would like to find some of the saftey glasses w/ the foam seal around the eyes. I don't like the bulky sience class goggles they sell, plus the vent holes allow metal dust in.
definitely, I was practicing it religiously behind my polycarb eyeglasses when I got nailed the first time rofl

I don't really like the "birth control goggle" style ones, I prefer a good set of wraparound safety glasses under a face shield plus careful angling of the tool.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great topic, JC.

Personally, I like safety glasses for anything except beating on metal, grinding on metal, or anything else that can cause high-speed metallic projectiles. I wear a polycarbonate shield in those instances.

I have removed all sorts of metallic and non-metallic foreign bodies from my patients' eyes over the years. Some of the nastier ones I have seen are welding spatter and pieces of a wire wheel. The spatter tends to burn deep into the cornea and will usually leave a dense scar. The wires from a wire wheel can have enough energy behind them to penetrate a cornea and cause an open/leaking wound.

Some of the nastiest abrasions I have seen on a cornea are self-induced from a patient trying to remove their own foreign body. Please avoid ER's and go straight to an eye doctor when you get metal or other debris in the eye that cannot be flushed out with sterile saline or eye wash.

Please make sure your safety glasses, goggles, shields, etc... are ANSI Z87.1 certified. Don't use regular plastic prescription glasses or sunglasses for safety glasses.

Stan Leschert

The table of establishment and the scale of issue, requires that you come in having 2 eyes. They might be kinda handy for when you retire.

Seriously, you only have a pair. Try to keep them. This means FOD, and Welders Flash.

Your choice, but the guide dog can't drive your deuce!

Last edited:

kastein

Personally, after working with some wire wheels, I prefer a face shield. Much better protection imho.
Great topic, JC.

Personally, I like safety glasses for anything except beating on metal, grinding on metal, or anything else that can cause high-speed metallic projectiles. I wear a polycarbonate shield in those instances.

I have removed all sorts of metallic and non-metallic foreign bodies from my patients' eyes over the years. Some of the nastier ones I have seen are welding spatter and pieces of a wire wheel. The spatter tends to burn deep into the cornea and will usually leave a dense scar. The wires from a wire wheel can have enough energy behind them to penetrate a cornea and cause an open/leaking wound.

Some of the nastiest abrasions I have seen on a cornea are self-induced from a patient trying to remove their own foreign body. Please avoid ER's and go straight to an eye doctor when you get metal or other debris in the eye that cannot be flushed out with sterile saline or eye wash.

Please make sure your safety glasses, goggles, shields, etc... are ANSI Z87.1 certified. Don't use regular plastic prescription glasses or sunglasses for safety glasses.
yeah, just the thought of a piece of a wire wheel scares the bajeezus out of me. I took one of those wires in the side of the thigh a while ago when the wheel snagged on something and it stabbed about 1/8" in, after going through my jeans.

Weld spatter... :!: man that must really suck.

I did remove my own foreign body the second time... but I was marginally smart about it, I disinfected the surfaces I used and did NOT rub, just straight in and straight out very very carefully like putting in a contact lens. If it had not come out that way, the ER/eye doc was next (well, after a substantial amount of cursing.)

Stonewall

thanks for the reminder fellas. It is all to easy to just grab a tool and go to work, but the extra time it takes to be same is well worth the avoidance of loosing an eye.fat lady sings

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks