• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heavy equipment trailer for my 5 ton

jblueep

I've been looking around for a heavy equipment trailer so I can move around my 20K lb backhoe with my M817 when I get them both fixed up (two unfinished projects).

An M817 can tow 30K right (on the road)?

Thought the following was interesting (but I don't think it would be street legal). It's a way for a 5 tonner to tow a semi type trailer:

http://134.198.33.115/atav/dolly.htm

I couldn't find a military heavy equipment trailer (that would handle a 20K payload) that wasn't a semi type. Does one exist?

Jason
------------
1972 M817

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use what is shown in the 'Nam log you linked all the time with my M54A1 and a short semitrailer. Have good brake hookups and lights and you will have no problems. Reversing is very tricky, however.

The law only cares about length, and you won't be over that of a commercial tractor with a 53' trailer. Plenty cops (both DOT and regular) see it and never give it a second glance.

dg

m.walker

Every set of doubles on a semi running down the road is using a dolly , they are legal . Just respect it and practice with it . Like G744 said very tricky to back so watch where you go and leave yourself a way out .

rmgill

In the civilian world, you're talking about a ~10 ton tag trailer. Not hard to find. There are some military 5 ton trailers and I think a 7 ton trailer that are basically equipment trailers with out a beaver tail. I don't think there's a 10 ton. I'd get a civilian 10 Ton trailer and modify the brake system to run it safely behind your truck. Electric brakes and a cab mounted brake controller. That's how my deuce runs my 5 ton equipment trailer.

jblueep

Thanks guys. The main reason I was thinking military was because I could possible get it cheaper than civilian. The going price for a new civilian 10 ton trailer is 8K+. Do they make a military semi type with ramps I could run on a dolly? Another reason I was considering the dolly was because I was thiking of getting a couple of semi trailer cargo containers for storage and I would like to move them if I need to.

jblueep

Ryan, that last trailer would be ideal. I've never seen one that cheap. It's in Montana though and I'm in Fort Worth :(

jblueep

Just noticed that Montana trailer was not a dual. I have a hard time believing it's 10 ton w/o tandem duals.

rmgill

In my several years of looking at how to move my Dingo around, I never came across one of those trailers. They're rare. Really rare. That's why I went with a civilian one. A tag trailer in military form is going to be high too, so factor that into your plans.

jblueep

Yeah, I poked around for an hour or so after getting that model # and came up with squat. They must be rare. Usually, you find something somewhere in some condition.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really wanted to do it the right way...and money was not an object!...buy a heavy tag-along trailer that is rated for 20 tons. Many of these have air brakes.

Good luck!

Bruce

Olney, MD

-----

1989 M932A2 tractor
1989 M925A2 cargo
1989 M101A2 3/4 ton trailer
1988 M977 HEMTT cargo
1988 M105A2 1-1/ ton trailer
1987 M1045 HMMWV
1987 M105A2 1-1/2 ton trailer
1985 M1009 (3) CUCV Blazer
1970 M149A2 1-1/2 ton water buffalo
1963 M332 (2) 1-1/2 ton ammo trailer

CGarbee

What you need is the small tag trailer that I have in my back yard... It's designed to be towed behing a military five ton truck to haul things like a lundry unit, water purification setup, etc... I've got photos on my website showing it on the day that it was delivered, but have yet to put up the photos showing it with the ramps and correct light reinstalled...
I'm away from home this week, but when I get back I can pull the dataplate info off it ...
It is for sale, but since I am in Raleigh, distance may be a problem...
Good luck.

Photo page is located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/photos44.htm

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks