• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Refurbishing a fuel tank - advice wanted

tjcouch

The inside of my fuel tank looks like someone poured a box of corn flakes in it.

I have read about the process of refurbishing the tank using muratic acid and then coating it with POR 15.

Details here: DIY Fuel Tank Restoration

Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

rango

id say its more like fall leaves........lol but hey that is just my opinion

also we need to know if the fuel pick up on m274mule.com is the only option? can the element filter be sourced though a normal autoparts store?

also there is a rubber T on the intake piping that comes from the air cleaner, then goes to the section of tube bolted to the carb that has a 90* vertical section to the passenger side (as viewed from the rear) that slips onto some sort of oil/air line with a ball valve, does anyone have a part number for said piece? if i am lucky TJ will post a picture (*hint* *hint*)

his is a m274a5 if it matters, with the 2cyl herc motor

oh and tj nopics:beer:

raeme

Fuel tank.

Put 2 pints of mollassas in mix well with hot water and leave for 4 weeks. each day add 1 jug of boiling water and stir to kee process going, when finished wash out with cold water and dry strait away with compressed air. Inside will be back to new metal.
raeme.

poppop

I have used a product called creme several times with good results. Most motorcycle places sell it can be ordered on line. The tank must be very clean, First put nuts or rocks in the tank and shake real good. Then muric acid, then water rinse real good. Let dry well and pour in the creme and roll the tank around in every direction coating all surfaces. It seals small leaks and seals any remaining rust so it won't cause a problem. The inside of the tank will be white. Put a rag or stick in any openings to keep them clear.

tiger422

I have used a product called creme several times with good results. Most motorcycle places sell it can be ordered on line. The tank must be very clean, First put nuts or rocks in the tank and shake real good. Then muric acid, then water rinse real good. Let dry well and pour in the creme and roll the tank around in every direction coating all surfaces. It seals small leaks and seals any remaining rust so it won't cause a problem. The inside of the tank will be white. Put a rag or stick in any openings to keep them clear.
The same company makes a acid cleaner to clean tank first it works very well.

tcody

TJ - I have tried the POR 15 method and was very happy with the results. I had a fair amount of surface rust inside a Ingersoll-Rand diesel compressor tank. I pressure washed it first then gave it a try. It has worked well and that was several years ago. I think the ideal way to deal with this would be to take the tank to a place like redi-strip where the entire tank is submerged, but for me that was a 3 hour drive each way. There may be someone in Tampa that does chemical alkali metal stripping. The tank I had had several baffles and I could never be sure all the rust was taken care of because I had no way to inspect all the surfaces.
Regards
Cody

rango

TCody - the tank we are dealing with from what I can see has at least one large vertical baffle, from the sound of the process you are referring to, I believe you are referring to a plating shop, am I correct?

im chiming in as im the guy who works on the thing lol :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks