• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat 353 starter

Scuffy

Quick question for ya guys... I'm getting ready to work on getting my Goat Engine in my Jeep build and I was curious...

Does this have a 24V starter or a 12V? Reason I ask is because I need to find an alternator. And if the starter that was original to it was 24V- how easy is it to find a 12V that will fit it. How universal might it be? Can one be acquired from a regular truck/semi shop?

Scuffy

lol My goat engine is most certainly going into my 73 CJ5. :lol: Although at this point it's a Franken-Jeep. I originally go the engine and was going to keep most of the Jeep stock... but then after more research than I though possible I discovered that the engine was a bit much for all of the stock componants. SO... I now have axles and a transmission out of a Deuce under her, stretched the tub 16 inches and lengthened the wheel base from 84" to 120". She's been deemed my Detroit Lady. :lol:

Anywho... If I'm looking to go with a 12 volt system would it be as simple as getting a 12 volt starter and alternator? I'm building the whole project from the ground up so can use whatever gauges and such I choose. How easy is it to come by a 12 volt starter that would work... are they pretty universal?

Scuffy

Nope, sorry RC- I bought the engine off Fleabay last year. The guy had gone through and completely stripped the engine down and refurbished it. It's spic-n-span and gorgeous!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Those engines were used in a lot of applications....shrimp boats come to mind.

If nothing else you can take it to a rebuilder and have it changed over (if you have an old school rebuild shop in the area).

mendo

Those engines were used in a lot of applications....shrimp boats come to mind.

If nothing else you can take it to a rebuilder and have it changed over (if you have an old school rebuild shop in the area).

This is a great shop for repair of DC Electrical Motors, Alternators and Generators:

Boyle Future Technology

12325 Locksley Ln
Auburn, CA
(530) 888-6290

they can fix anything, change anything. Great guys too.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I was at Fort Benning GA in the mid 80's I met a guy that had bought a lot containing 30 Gama Goats (this was before Goobement Liqueerdation took over sales). He had to demill them at the DRMO yard. All of the aluminum went to a smelter in Troy, AL.

I asked him what he was going to do with the steel parts and the engine/driveline.

He said he had a market for the engines in LA. He sold them to the shrimp boat operators.

Everything else that he did not have a buyer for went to the scrapper.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
When I was at Fort Benning GA in the mid 80's I met a guy that had bought a lot containing 30 Gama Goats.
I asked him what he was going to do with the steel parts and the engine/driveline.
He said he had a market for the engines in LA. He sold them to the shrimp boat operators.

Hmmm...I bet the fishys and the shrimpys heard that screaming DT coming from way off...just like the OPFOR did...and hauled asz:deadhorse:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks