• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My newest toys

Tascabe

GAZ-69M and BTR-152

It has been an interesting several weeks around here!

GAZ-69M I picked up from the buddy in Kansas. He had it a couple years and had not driven it much so thought it was time for it to go where it would get used - and boy will it get used by me:)

BTR-152 I got from a museum in Utah. They saw us at the MVPA National Convention with my BTR-40 and said they had this 152 sitting in their shop that they really did not want (they do mostly WW2 stuff) and asked if I would be interested. Well yes I would be interested!!

So finally got all the details worked and it arrived at my place this last weekend.

GAZ-69M was taken this last weekend to DDAP for a little trail ride fun - worked well until I had a fuel delivery issue - likely the NOS fuel pump - apparently rubber does not hold up well after sitting for ~50 years :)

BTR-152 will take a bit more work to get running. Rolls nice and everything looks in really good condition. Just need to sort out some engine bits (head gasket, fan blade, hoses and belts, fluids etc) and some tires.

Attachments

Tascabe

Sorry - I sometimes forget that not everybody knows what a BTR is :)

Yes the BTR-152 is the armored 6x6.

BTR -= Bronetransporter = which means 'armored transporter'

This model is close kin to my BTR-40 as they were produced in the same basic era. The BTR-40 being replaced in front line service by the BRDM-1 and the BTR-152 being replaced in front line service by the BTR-60.

The BTR-40 stayed in service as a recon vehicle for a little while longer, the BTR-152 stayed in Soviet/Russian service in various forms until 1993!

This particular vehicle's history is coming to me in pieces but it appears that this was also an Israeli captured vehicle - however it does not have many if any modifications made by the Israelis like my BTR-40 does.

The GAZ is so named because that is where the original ones were made.
Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod

However, production was moved from the GAZ factory to the UAZ factory in 1954 (for the year 1955 they were produced at both).

This being a 1964 model was produced at the UAZ factory - and has UAZ marked on the hood as well.

УАЗ = Ulyanovsky Avtomobilny Zavod

Though the name officially changed to UAZ-69 when the production moved - most people still call them GAZ-69

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BTR-152...:drool::drool::drool::drool:
(Accompanied by that Homer gurgling noise...)

And a BTR-40... (which I drooled on in person in Kansas, sorry!). I am now officially jealous of you!

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks