• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The FEVER spreads

5_TON_TOMATOE

I have a friend who has a 43' GMC 6X6 in pretty decent shape. After helping me on some of my toys, he's grown an interest to repair/ restore his truck. Any idea where to find doors/sheetmetal for the CCKW ?? Thanks :grd:

5_TON_TOMATOE

New blood/ I mean Members

Good going Maurice!!! Great way to increase our PNW SS ranks:razz:
Hey Mike, Hope you and the family are well.
Yes, the green fever has spread, and I'm as sick as ever :-D
He is helping with the brake job on the M-62, and I'm trying to help him find some parts. He lives on Camino, and maybe he could convoy down with our member with the fire deuce next time

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brad in Yelm had at least one parts one if you wanna do some chatting.
I was thinking about it for the power train for my DUKW until I picked up a 350 and an700R4.

paulfarber

Open or closed cab? Chevy doors and a lot of the cab sheet metal will fit on a CCKW (closed cab). Open cab doors are not hard to find, but uncommon. Usual suspects: VoV, Craigslist etc.

Varyag

Brad in Yelm had at least one parts one if you wanna do some chatting.
I was thinking about it for the power train for my DUKW until I picked up a 350 and an700R4.
Holy crap Tony! You got a dukw??? Can't wait to see that next year.

Yeah, Brad had a nice dump and a parts truck in the weeds.

paulfarber

A few years ago some one was selling a DUKW that claimed it was original off the production line and kept by GM as a sample. It looked complete (VERY complete) and he wanted $100k+ for it.

Any one remember something like that?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
A few years ago some one was selling a DUKW that claimed it was original off the production line and kept by GM as a sample. It looked complete (VERY complete) and he wanted $100k+ for it.

Any one remember something like that?
It was on Military Vehicle Sales and Appraisal Service and looked beautiful..... they claimed they found it in a Pontiac, Michigan warehouse.

I will try to find some archived pics of it later.

paulfarber

Well if that link is correct then I doubt the claims are true.

Take this for example:

1942 CCKW 2 1/2 Ton Serial # 89

Claims it is a 'VERY ORIGINAL' CCKW. Yet it has the wrong bed, and either the cab was swapped or the guages were... as a civvie guaged CCKW would have the early 1574 cab with the mirror mounted on the door hinge, not the cowl. The motor is also wrong... the PVC vent single oil filter is wrong, as is the oil filler/filter. As I look at it the cab had to be swapped as there are suppression filters and side vent wire mesh.

The FRAME from a CCKWX sn 89, everything else is not.

Uses the term 'rare' way to much.... and seems to be asking 2-3x of what sane prices would be.

Last edited:

paulfarber

IIRC there is a place in FL that has/sells DUKWs.. also in CA.

Problem is that they are little more than hulls.... finding a 50-80% complete DUCK/CCKW/jeep/trailer is easy... its the last 20% (anchors, surf shield, seat etc) that make or break a restoration.

Everyone gets excited about 'air protable' CCKWs... yet without the cab's tricycle wheel/mount its pretty useless... you cannot break it in half becuase you are missing the most important part... anyone can cut a frame and weld a flange to it. Ditto for things like trailers.... without the lunette, casting and landing leg/wheel its generally not a restoreable item.

I remember that specific DUKW not becuase of the price, but because of the pretty outlandish claims made. Remember, buy the TRUCK, not the story. After 60+ years of storage all the leather would have dried out, the wood would have cracked, the ropes would have rotted.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks