• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting it home

aztec

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waiting on my euc I want to drive my new m35a3 home from fort gorden Ga. to florida will they let me just drive away What paper work will i need and how to get it i will have it insured just no plate yet as they wont get working on the sf97 till after pickup any help on how this all works would be great

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't have to prove anything to Gl other than you have the correct paperwork to prove you can pick the item up. Now law enforcement is another matter.

Chief_919

Waiting on my euc I want to drive my new m35a3 home from fort gorden Ga. to florida will they let me just drive away What paper work will i need and how to get it i will have it insured just no plate yet as they wont get working on the sf97 till after pickup any help on how this all works would be great
You don't know the condition of the brakes until you pull the wheels and inspect them.

You don't know the condition of the wheel bearings until you pull the wheels and inspect them.

Have you looked at it? Do you know if the fuel tank has fresh fuel or crap? Belts and hoses ok?

You can insure it, but you won't be legal without tags and a registration- if you get in an accident, first law enforcement then the lawyers will have a field day with you.

Remember- your truck has been sitting neglected for at least 6 months while it worked its way through the surplus system, possibly longer, and if this is your first EUC it will sit for 3 more months. That is almost a year, possibly over, of inactivity and neglect.

Driving it away will save you a few dollars, yes. But is it wise? Not in my opinion and experience. You shouldn't be running you truck on the public roads until you have done a proper preventive maintenace inspection and service.

Luckily for us MV collectors the military makes doing that easy- just open the -10 manual and do all the Daily, Weekly, and Monthly PMCS checks, then open the -20 manual and to the biannual and annuals PMCS ( also known as an annual service). By regulation if your truck is still in service this would be what would be required for a unit to run it, and it is a good safe guideline for all of us to use.

A bunch of stuff can go wrong driving off the lot. Best case if it does you are out a tow bil ( that will be far higher than having it hauled would cost), worst case you kill yourself or somebody esle, with a whole lot of bad options in between.

Think long and hard about the risks and how much can go wrong before you deciede to drive it home. I personally wouldn't feel safe running a vehicle from GL on the road until I had completed the annual service checks as laid out in the TM- or at least come close. And I have 18 years military experience working on and supervsing the use of these trucks I base that on.

mf5129

i agree.i have had issues with everyone i bought.most are easily fixable.but time consuming.tow and have one less thing to worry about.you will have something to do when it gets home.

mistaken1

Check to see if your state offers temporary transport tags.

Make sure all is well mechanically before driving and have backup plan in case driving it is not safe.

ApopkaFL

Banned
Check to see if your state offers temporary transport tags.

Make sure all is well mechanically before driving and have backup plan in case driving it is not safe.

I have picking up my 3 duces this week also. BUT I am going to haul them out on 3 semis. I was told you can NOT drive them off the base......

Rodman

ozzy308

I just pick up an m105a2 trailer for Ft Gordon on monday, all I needed was the paid in full invoice Florida wont give me a temporary tag because it was from out of state, I just winged it and pull it home 640 miles no problem. Good luck Ozzy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks