• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw an

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Converting a multifuel engine to straight diesel?

Saw an add for trucks from the Kansas Forest Service (did not know they had forests there). They are talking about "Multifuel, converted to diesel only".

How would you do that and what would be the + and - of such a conversion?

Last edited:

91W350

According to them, I missed a few acres... Glen

"Ninety-six percent of Kansas's 2.2 million acres of forestland are privately owned. The health, productivity, management, and sustainability of this valuable resource is the responsibility of the private landowners of Kansas"

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, Kansas did not had that much trees an 150 odd years ago. Mind you, herds of a million or two heads of bisons helped keeping the vegtation down.

Under the Homestead Act of 1862, in Kansas you actually could get two claims if you wanted, one normal and one tree lot, under condition you planted at least 40 acres (later reduced to 10 acres) on the tree claim :hammer: . That tree-claim provision ended in 1891, maybe they had enough forests or maybe it just did not work out.

Kansas is still a place where you can see the tracks and remenants of the old section roads, school sections with little school buildings etc. The land was just not that great to need to use every inch for intensive agriculture use (The tornadoes, prairie fires, blizzards, grasshoper plagues and other stuff did not help either). The bit of oil under the land, now, helped some people to survive and lead a quiet, comfortable life of sorts. rofl

unclemikey

O.K ..............So I have got to ask, Robo, How is it that you know so bloody much about Kansas with a location of the Czech Republic? I have kin that live there that I doubt know that. Well Done [thumbzup]

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We did some work finding the genealogy of one of our friends from there, and later looked over their place and the place their ancestores put their stake for a homestead. This is in the Wilson KA area.

So we got interested, dug a bit into the history of settlers on the Great Plains and drove around quite a bit (in 2003 in the US and Canada about 6,000 miles in 6 weeks, I like driving, my partner not that much, she would like to see some other things occasionally as well).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks