• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injured Working On Blazer

JDToumanian

Hi Group,

A few weeks ago while I was working on my M1009 Blazer, I managed to break my arm (fractured ulna).....

I was kneeling on the brush guard with my right hand on the air cleaner while I looked carefully for fuel leaks after replacing my IP. I went to get down onto an upside down 5-gallon bucket that I had been standing on while doing the work. The bucket slipped out from under my feet and while trying to grab onto something my left hand went between the headlight and the brush guard while I continued to fall on my butt. SNAP!

The pic demonstrates how it happened. Needless to say, a proper step stool is on my shopping list... Be careful out there!

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

ABN173

I remember a thread about a guy that fabricated some type of step that mounted where the front towing shackles are.

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a speedy recovery

Takai13

Ouch. It is always the simple things that get us. Proper footing is so important. I can't remember how many times I have done something similar.

Sirblissfull

Goldneagle has a 2 step fab piece on the front of the 5 ton I bought from him. I have not taken delivery yet but maybe he would post a pic if someone asked him.

91W350

Funny you should post this today. I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket, only the lid, adjusting the belts on my M1009 and was telling myself how stupid that was. My bucket had about three gallons of solvent in it, not nearly enough ballast for my over-sized carcass. I hope yours was a clean break and that it heals with no further issues. Glen

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the eye opener/safety reminder.

I once fell through a plastic lawn chair, while getting down from a deuce. I was too lazy that time to get the step ladder that I usually use. I could have been cut bad, I was lucky.

Hope you heal fast and well.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
We are all guilty of bad judgement (and have the scars to prove it) at one time or another.

I have found that with my creaky old bones and bad knees a good step stool is now part of the tool requirements for working on deuces and other big items.

Thanks for sharing...we all feel your pain.aua

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good warning. Standing on a bucket is almost as safe as standing on the top of a step ladder.
I use one of these. I keep it in my Contact Maintenance Truck. Very handy.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good warning. Standing on a bucket is almost as safe as standing on the top of a step ladder.
I use one of these. I keep it in my Contact Maintenance Truck. Very handy.
Ferro was working from one of those at the rally and I was thinking I need one. I really should buy or fabricate a tire step too. Thanks Jon, I hope I learn from your pain!

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Ouch. It is always the simple things that get us. Proper footing is so important. I can't remember how many times I have done something similar.
You got a lift kit under that CUCV, or are you just short? I can change the plugs on a gasser deuce with my feet flat on the ground, so it's hard for me to understand why you'd be standing on a bucket.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you have a speedy recovery. People can make fun of me but Gimp has seen my setup. I use a stepladder to climb up onto my rolling scaffolding from Menards. I have two that I can put next to the trucks so I have a nice safe work platform.

sw

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Geez Jon, that picture makes me feel like I can hear the SNAP sound in my head!

That must have hurt like he....... a lot.

Do the Doctor's say there will be any long term issues stemming from this?

Thanks for reminding everyone how easy it is to get hurt and to be careful.

waayfast

Years ago my wife(then) was standing up in the extreme left side of the floorboard of our Chevy van while trying to lean out to scrape the frost off the windshield.Her feet slipped off the edge and her head (neck)went between the door and the windshield post!!Luckily when her feet hit the ground they didn't slip out from under her and being almost six foot tall saved her from literally hanging herself.Scared the absolute crap out off both of us!

Sorry for your misfortune but thanks for the reminder to be careful.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks