• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding lesson

RANDYDIRT

2 months or so ago I did some welding with a metal watch band. I was changing the main power switch on the deuce and had my hand up in the dash when all of a sudden... CRACK!! SIZZLE!! Good-bye twist-o-flex, hello smoke! I caught the watch on the heater switch and commenced to lay the prettiest welding bead acrossed my wrist and forearm. I now have a scar about an inch and a half long for a reminder....
TAKE THE JEWELRY OFF DUMBASS!!!

Dirt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was working on a starter on a peterbuilt, a wrench on the hot lead came it contact with my wedding ring and the frame, had to CUT the cooked ring OUT OF MY FINGED.

"TAKE THE JEWELRY OFF DUMBASS!!!"

Bill W

Did the same thing with my wedding band helping a friend change out the batteries in his Ferret (24v), luckly the band blew apart from my finger and stuck to the hull but still left a good burn

dittle

Another hazard with rings is the crush hazard. I always take my rings off as I don't want a finger pinched off if something bad happens.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Excellent safety tips. I always remove my watch when working on anything electrical or mechanical. As far as my wedding band, got rid of that seven years ago and couldn't be happier! :D

stumps

I don't suppose we should start discussing degloving injuries? I knew of a guy that was sitting on the edge of a flat bed truck, and hopped off. In doing so, he caught his wedding band on a rivet, or something that stuck up from the bed. It ripped the skin right off of his finger and left the bone and muscle exposed... they call them degloving injuries for a reason.

Unfortunately, these sorts of injuries, and a host of others caused by loose clothing, are standard fare when working around operating machinery. You have to be careful, and lucky.... If you are careful, luck shouldn't have to play a part, but you just can't be careful all the time.... Luck is important too.

-Chuck

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
my X swore I did it on purpose so I would not be wearing a wedding ring , ONE the THOUSAND reasons I'm not still married to her

littlebob

I don't suppose we should start discussing degloving injuries? I knew of a guy that was sitting on the edge of a flat bed truck, and hopped off. In doing so, he caught his wedding band on a rivet, or something that stuck up from the bed. It ripped the skin right off of his finger and left the bone and muscle exposed... they call them degloving injuries for a reason.

Unfortunately, these sorts of injuries, and a host of others caused by loose clothing, are standard fare when working around operating machinery. You have to be careful, and lucky.... If you are careful, luck shouldn't have to play a part, but you just can't be careful all the time.... Luck is important too.

-Chuck
I know a plumber that lost three fingers in a degloving drilling a hole.
I don't have any jewelry, I told my wife not to buy me a band because I work on stuff and would never wear it or would take it off and lose it. 20yrs and the band wouldn't make the difference anyway.

stumps

I know a plumber that lost three fingers in a degloving drilling a hole.
I don't have any jewelry, I told my wife not to buy me a band because I work on stuff and would never wear it or would take it off and lose it. 20yrs and the band wouldn't make the difference anyway.
Same thing I told my wife, and for the same reason.

-Chuck

Ridgerunner

Even though I'm married, to this day, I have never worn a wedding band.

One of the things that my father told me about when he was in the army. Was in '68, he was in the back of a Deuce and his ring had snagged on the side rack when he was jumping out of it. He said just like that, before he landed on the ground, the skin and meat had pulled off his finger.

I copied the picture, hopefully to show others the true danger that a wedding band can inflict.

" Note ring under skin. "

Attachments

5ton4ever

YOW! A guy I used to work with jumped off a big forklift and had his hand on top of the rops, and a bolt on the top plate hooked under his wedding ring, when he hit the ground there was no ring or finger! Popped it off at the hand. Jewelery and work don't mix.

stampy

Here is another thought REMOVE ALL SPRAY CANS from the area where you are welding. I knew a guy who had a can of wd40 5-6 feet away from where he was welding. A piece of hot slag made it into a blowtorch that ended up burning him pretty bad. Obviously remove any flamables.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks