• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lug Nuts and such

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a general, 'please check your rig' thingy...Sorry, no pics!

I was pulling the tires off the rear axle on the deuce for a general inspection along with repacking the bearings and seals and liked to have had a cow! I found 3 of 6 lugnuts loose on BOTH axles, not a good thing! And by loose, I mean, put your fingers on them and start turning! I checked the rest of the axles and found at least 1 on each axle this way!

I had checked them all a couple of months ago and all was good, so this happened in about 1000miles...

So, as a friendly reminder, please check your lugs and nuts!

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would concur. I went 20+ years and never had a lug nut problem. This year, I've had loose lug nuts cause near disasters twice.

Also don't forget to turn the time back....I am up and on here cause I forgot to turn back my travel alarm.

Heavysteven

Could it be caused by the nut or studs being threads being worn? I wonder if replacing the lug nut with new ones might help.

I agree that it's a common issue.

ODdave

Mechanic by trade and have never had a lug nut loosen, everyone is HAND tightening there OWN lugs correct???? (to the proper spec)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be fair, you can overtighten the lug nuts too. Those who put a 3/4" impact on them and leave the sucker on for a minute tightening the sucker are going to find out what happens to overtorqued studs when you hit a pothole.

Before a big trip (or once a month) check the lug nuts. If you own an impact wrench, 2-3 seconds MAX once the nut stops doing any major spinning, just to cinch it up tight. If you don't own an impact, and instead use the Budd wrench and a 4-foot breaker bar, LEAN into that sucker with your full weight. Make sure they are snug, but don't go to extremes.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And another error some guys make, even me once in a while: lefty-loosey righty-tighty on the RIGHT side of the truck only. (passenger side). Driver's side is OPPOSITE, lefty-tighty righty-loosey. I've seen folks with impacts on the driver's side saying "dammit this just won't come off" and they forgot the opposite rule.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have seen lug nuts loosen, but most times ,if thay were put on right, the cause was a viberation caused by a bad bearing, another cause was lubed studs and over tighting that leads to stretched studs and buds

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks