• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1943 gpw-need help looking for #'s

pinky's girl

I have a 1943 GPW and need help on where to look for vin numbers on the jeep. I haven't a clue and I need to figure out the worth/history of what I've got. It runs pretty good but need's some tranny work. I feel pretty lucky as I've been told it has the original flathead four engine. As I stated above, I'm clueless and have no idea where to look for the all important numbers. Any other information that would help me would be most appreciated. Thanks everybody!

Edited to add: If you need better pics such as close ups on anything I can certainly take them and post them here. I've been reading some of the posts here on the forum and it looks like if I tried to figure this stuff out on my own I would go nuts! LMBO. I'm not a GIRLY girl but I'm certainly not mechanically inclined enough to do this on my own. Thanks so much everyone.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Open the hood, and look down on the driver's side on top of the frame rail, right about where the shock mount is. The serial number (VIN) will be stamped there under a lot of crud. Will also be on the data plate on the glove box door. When you get it, post over on G503 and those guys will be able to tell you what every employee's name was that worked on the Ford assembly line on the day your Jeep was built.

mikes

as Mentioned above look on the frame rail between the motor mount & fender tab it should look something like this * GPW xxxxx * also check the engine to see if that number matches the frame number if so you have a matching numbers GPW Congrats if that's the case. The engine number is on the Boss located around the oil filler tube. Good Luck. not taking anything away from this site (these guys know big trucks...) but the G503 guys are wealth of info/history etc & can really help with any questions Regards, Mike

paulfarber

Did you buy that with the intent on actually getting a WWII jeep? There are lots of CJ parts and the body has two very questionable welds where it looks like a splice might have been done.

If its just a ride, then have fun.

As for your tranny... Brent Mullins is in TX for parts, and AJP is in PA. For most drivetrain parts go to NAPA as most parts from a CJ2A will fit... don't pay the MV Vendor markup... they are selling the same OMIX-ADA parts as a store but with the additional mark up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks