• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help with first Deuce inspection - Forrest Park GA

sail-bum

I am going to do my first preview inspection on a GL deuce tomorrow at Forrest Park, any suggestions on what all I am looking for. I understand the obvious items that you would look at for a car or truck, but I don't know what I don't know. I know that sounds like I am an idiot, but I am great with boats but this is my first MV. Any help is appreciated. If anyone wants to walk around in the early morning cold for a free breakfast, let me know.

Flyingvan911

Is anything missing or broken? Will the truck start and run? Check to be sure the engine oil wasn't drained first!!! What features does the truck have? Heater, hard top, LDS engine, tarp/bows, troop seats, etc. What will you need to do to fix any problems? If you win a particular truck and it doesn't run, can you get it home?

There are lots of things to look at but this is a starting point. Good luck!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I think Forest Park is an unmanned site.....prob no way to slave it off if it wont start....if you want to try to crank it you can take two batteries with a dogbone connector and a set of heavy jumper cables and try to start it.

If it will crank check the air system, brakes and roll it back and forth to check the clutch (they usually won't let you drive it around the yard).

Also turn on the lights and see if the headlights, brake lights and turn signals work...you will need them if you plan to drive it off.

If you have to slave it off and you win it bring two batteries when you come back....if you drrive it with dead batteries you may kill the alternator on the way home.

Deuces have an in-tank fuel pump....if it is not working the truck may be hard to start.

Take off the fuel cap, remove the strainer and see how much fuel is in the tank...if you are going to drive it off the lot bring at least ten gallons of fuel if the level is low.....DO NOT trust the fuel gauge....the only thing that lies more consistantly than a politician is a deuce fuel gauge.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am going to do my first preview inspection on a GL deuce tomorrow at Forrest Park, any suggestions on what all I am looking for. I understand the obvious items that you would look at for a car or truck, but I don't know what I don't know. I know that sounds like I am an idiot, but I am great with boats but this is my first MV. Any help is appreciated. If anyone wants to walk around in the early morning cold for a free breakfast, let me know.
Leaks from engine (head gaskets, bell housing, etc.), trans, transfer, axles, etc.

Rust! Check the front of the bed, base of the stake pockets, rocker panels, cowl, doors and fenders.

Condition of wiring (dry rotted, etc.).

Tire condition

In short, look it over the way you would look over a 40 year classic car. I've outlined some of the major trouble spots for deuces.

I wish I had a more flexible schedule-I only work about 20 minutes away but I can't break free from work.

Say hello to John from Clint and Dawn.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks