• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Detroit Diesel 6V-71

Finlandia

Detroit 6V-71, 238hp / 2100rpm version. How much torque this engine have?

If you have good tecnical information links about DD engines, let me know. DD's are rare in Finland.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son follows Detroits a lot, I will ask him.
Finland I assume has a lot of fishing enterprise. A look into sources for boat engine parts suppliers in the area might be of help. A lot of boats use Detroits.
Regards Marti

JDToumanian

My spec sheet says 611 ft. lbs @ 1600 rpm for a 6v-71 with N65 injectors.

This place doesn't have spec sheets, but a lot of other useful DD 2-cycle engine info. The oil page linked below is particularly important if you want the engine to live a long life. You probably already know DD 2-cycle engines require special oil, in the USA they have their own API oil rating....

Tejas Coach Works Factory DDC Oil Information Data Page

Jon

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know the torque specs off the top of my head but they have pretty good torque if you keep them wound up. Detroits don't like low RPMs. Detroits are generally good engines if you don't mind the oil leaks.

JDToumanian

Detroits are generally good engines if you don't mind the oil leaks.
In my experience, this reputation of 2-cycle Detroits as leakers is outdated, or attributable to abuse.... The modern gasket sets are excellent and the correct engine oil (see my post above) prevents liner scoring and the resulting slobber out the air box drains. My 6-71N in my M52 and my friend's in his coach conversion are dry as a bone. Multi-weight oils are probably fine for most engines, but it's really remarkable how quickly they break down and ruin 2-cycle diesels....

pgwaldner

Anyone need an 8v-71? I have a bus that has one that only had a few thousand miles on a fresh rebuild when it could not swim during the floods in Nashville. I am sure it would need to be cleaned out etc. but it should be a good base. If you have a way of removing the bus you can have it!

This is not a sale ad, I just hate to see things go to waste that someone can use and I won't be using it. The bus is a GMC RTS II.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone need an 8v-71? I have a bus that has one that only had a few thousand miles on a fresh rebuild when it could not swim during the floods in Nashville. I am sure it would need to be cleaned out etc. but it should be a good base. If you have a way of removing the bus you can have it!

This is not a sale ad, I just hate to see things go to waste that someone can use and I won't be using it. The bus is a GMC RTS II.
Having delt with flooded vehicles from the Nashville flood, I will say the engine (and everything else on the bus) is pretty much junk unless it was cleaned out good shortly after the flood.

I would still be interested if it's a freebee. I have the means to move it.

pgwaldner

It may be junk, but for the price? It is on my brother in law's land and I don't have a way to move it. He did tell me it was pretty badly damaged from the flood. It was not insured so I still have a clear title. It ran great when it was a bus, didn't work well as a submarine!

I have told Alredneck he could have it, but if he decides he doesn't want it - then it would be first come first serve. It would be worth something just for scrap weight as the structure of the bus is stainless steel.

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to love the 2 stroke Detroits. I have an 8V71 DD in my 1972 Dodge truck. If you are looking for a forum that has some DD experts I suggest the forums over at the American Truck Historical Society web site (www.aths.org). There are several people over there that can tell you every thing you ever wanted to know about the 2 stroke Detroits. The forums are free to register for and you don't have to be a member of the ATHS for the forums either.

As far as the transmission I had never heard of that one till I searched on Google. Found a manual for it on line.

http://www.bigtractorparts.com/downloads/Spicer_10spdServiceSM.pdf

Did not find anything in regards to the gear ratios though and the manual does not say either. It looks like TTC bought out the Spicer tansmissions. Here's a link to their web site about the SST trans but I don't see a 1010 model listed.

TTC: Product Literature

Ruppster

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My local CarQuest carries straight-weight 40wt oil in quart bottles; I buy it by the case and it's cheaper than any of the multi-grades for diesels. Getting ready to rehab my Grandfather's old 4-53T.

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got to love the 2 stroke Detroits. I have an 8V71 DD in my 1972 Dodge truck. If you are looking for a forum that has some DD experts I suggest the forums over at the American Truck Historical Society web site (www.aths.org). There are several people over there that can tell you every thing you ever wanted to know about the 2 stroke Detroits. The forums are free to register for and you don't have to be a member of the ATHS for the forums either.

Ruppster
Ruppster, THANK YOU for the ATHS referral! I've got a DD 4-53T in an '86 GMC 3/4-ton pickup I'm refurbishing...it was my Grandfather's until earlier this year, when I inherited it. It had been sitting for several years and was in rough shape; he originally had it converted back in the late 1980s. Over the past several months I've finally managed to get it roadworthy. It had HUGE chunks of algae in the fuel filter canisters! The oil dipstick was too small for the tube, so I had to fabricate a new one. I had to drain all 3 fuel tanks, filter all the algae & gunk out, mix healthy quantities of algae-cide into the filtered fuel, and refill the tanks (about 150+ gallons). This after replacing nearly all of the fuel lines which had dry-rotted (I'm still chasing air leaks in 2 of the 3 fuel supply lines).

This motor drips a LOT of oil while idling and when at rest...the most likely explanation is probably due to cylinder liner scoring from my Grandfather's prolonged use of multi-weight oil (15W-40), which is what most of the time-honored experts at ATHS suggest. I have a chassis from a 1994 Chevy 6500 being shortened for this truck; I hope next summer to have the time to swap the motor/trans/cab over to the new chassis. Looks like I'll have to do a small out-of-frame cylinder overhaul to fix the oil leaks during the conversion.

If anyone else is working on a Detroit fuel system, if you get an air leak in your fuel line your fuel pump can become air-locked...not fun! I went to O'Reilly's and purchased an AirTex universal 12V fuel pump, which came with an inline fuel filter. A couple of fuel fittings, fuel line, and wires with alligator clips later I had a priming pump. I installed it before the primary fuel filter, so it pumped fuel right into & through the fuel pump & when it started splashing back into the tank via the return line, I knew it was fully primed. This helped me isolate the fuel supply lines with air leaks. So now I am dumping the slip-over fuel lines secured with hose clamps, and going with threaded & flared fittings to eliminate the air leaks.

Anyhow, if anyone's Detroit Diesel 2-stroker is leaking/dripping oil from the vent tubes, there is a good (and cheap!) fix for a collection tank/bottle on ATHS.org tech forums that Ruppster mentioned: Parts for 2-stroke detroits? I'll be adding a collection tank during the frame conversion (and fiberglass tilt hood).

Thank you Ruppster!

raeme

Run them like you hate them, if no oil when idle probley blocked air boxs which means high ash content oil used or broken rings. But must drip a bit now and then.
raeme.

pgwaldner

It is south west of Nashville and northwest of Florence, AL just off the Natchez Trace. Commercial vehicles are not allowed on the Natchez trace so it will have to leave by another route. I see you are in CT. That is a long way as it is quite damaged from the flood. It had a freshly rebuilt detroit diesel but i am sure it is shot at also as the bus was submerged. It was a great bus before the water damage, but the key word is "was". If you are still interested I can get directions for you.

Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks