• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

XM708 dumptruck (M37 varient...)

CGarbee

I've started work on some new webpages for my site that will document the XM708 dumptruck that I just purchased. I still have a long way to go with them and the XM, but here is the URL:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/dumptruck/xm708index.htm

(I'd upload a file to this post, but the photos are on the home computer and I'm doing my moring ritual at work and don't have them on the office computer...)

CGarbee

My first thought was that it would make a real screamer of a worktruck with a 4BT in it, and I certainly know how to do the job, and what I'd do differently from the M37, and it does need an engine...
However, they only made 200 of these and after a bit of talking to some other folks who have them I think that there are less then 20 of them around and this is one of the more complete ones... I have had more then a few folks tell me that they really wanted to purchase this one, but that they felt ok after hearing that I got it since they knew that I would restore it properly and document the process... So, it is getting a nice, fresh, stock 230 flathead...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats on your new prize. Those M37 experimentals, the dump being one, the wrecker being another, et al, are truly unique pieces of MV equipment. Glad to hear you'll be restoring her to her original glory, and not modifying her to something she wasn't supposed to be. I will definitely be following your resto closely, with the pics and story you provide, as I am interested in buying one of the wrecker vaiants here shortly from a salvage yard close to me.

Of course, as my luck would have it, my prize is missing engine, tranny, front axle, steering components, steering wheel, radiator, front fenders, blah blah blah... :)

CGarbee

There is a fellow near me with a M37 for sale (ran out of steam on his resto) for 1500. Has new brakes, fuel lines, wiring, good engine, etc., but no bed... Might be a good donor for your wrecker...
Thanfully, the dumptruck came with most all of the components (although taken apart in in boxes) that are not still bolted to the frame... I've got a good line on another parts truck in the area and on a running engine in a M37 that is getting a repower (got to love doing Cummins conversion with folks...).

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think there might be one of them down at Ft Hood, at the 4ID's heritage center. They had a few "wierdo" variants there of the M37.

CGarbee

There is. I'm counting it in my guestimate of how many are around... ;) I understand that the one on display is missing the hydroboost for the brakes (the XM708 is the only truck in the M37 familly that got boosted brakes from the factory).
I've got some photos of that truck, the original specifcations, and some other stuff that I plan to put on-line this weekend.

I'll need to make a road trip to Ft. Hood soon...

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
CGarbee.......I am a newbie to this site (but I feel right at home). I am located near Centre, AL., so I am in the neighborhood. Are there enough of us around here for a "military vehicle support group"? I am active duty Army Reserve stationed in B'ham but I am usually up north on the weekends. I have been military off and on since 1972 so I am familiar with a lot of vehicles. At one time I was in Transportaion but I am now the Public Affairs NCOIC (MSG) for a Training Support Division. I have bought stuff from govliquidation.com at Redstone.
Drop me a line at wreckerman893@yahoo.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks