• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M886 AMBULANCE

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M886 page Here

The pics are old, It has Army Reserve medical unit markings on it.
my TM from 1990 says ambulances were to be painted #24533 Seafoam Green

I believe many of the Ambulances were actually used as troop transports not ambulances.

meckanic

Bob H,

Yours one the one I wanted to copy when I repaint mine. I thinks yours looks great. But, I'd like to see the MASSTER camo pattern on a M880 or anything else besides a tank or 6x6.

Are you sure the #24533 is for the outside and not the color of the inside walls of the body? I found that's the color they stated?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seafoam green is most certainly an interior color for van bodies, semi trailers, shelters and some armor.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Notes on ambulance interior colors, in my research for my ongoing and onrusting M725 ambulance project:

Most ambulance interiors are seafoam green, but there are two exceptions to the rule, detailed below.

When an ambulance comes from the factory, the interior of the box is seafoam green. No if ands or butts.

However, if the ambulance is to serve in a forward support role, as in Korea, Germany, or any other "hot spot", it is at the discretion of the forward support unit to repaint the interior of the ambulance a more subdued color, such as 24087 OD green.

If the ambulance is to serve in the complete opposite environment, such as being attached to a medical facility or army hospital (Walter Reed in DC, etc.) it is at the discretion of the facility to repaint the interior of the ambulance semi-gloss white, in order to provide a more bright interior.

The majority of ambulances never are repainted on the inside, and stay seafoam green their entire lives. But the few medical personnel I have spoken with that have experience with these ambulances in the service told me the above info.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I can find a complete set of Red Cross decals for a good price, I'll save myself the hassle of painting them on. If I can't find them, painting it is.

meckanic

I was thinking of going with magnetic signs and only use them for parades and such... I think the cost may be too expensive for that thought.

Also did your unit have a surgical light on the ceiling?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, mine came from the govvy auction with the surgical light intact, the rear bench seats in place and the rear step in place as well. Only missing ambulance related items missing were the litter parts (hanging litter parts, that is), and the rear heater, which isn't too much of a loss, as the original gas fired heaters for the rear ambulance compartment were effective "blow yourself up kits" that were situated ever-so-conveniently next to the gas tank. Not a good combo. Will replace with a modern 24V electrical heater made for M998 series HMMWV ambulances.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to search through the TM again to find the Seafoam green on the exterior of ambulances. the 1990 TM calls for the 3 color camo exterior and Seafoam interior for tactical use..
but the M886's were left out of the 1990 version. (Would love to see the 1976 version)
The inside walls and ceiling of M886's are white.
The Gas heater in the M886 is not next to the gas tank.(although connected by a fuel line)
The Red cross stickers for the M886 & M1010 are still available. about 75$ a set.
Mine came from GSA with painted crosses , the crosses and unit markings were painted over with a light brown temporary paint.

sf38a1

I had a 67 M725 with all the interior in it and it was OD on the inside .I did not find any seafoam green on it when I was refinishing it .

Amer-team

mine is a 1977 M886. the interiour in the back is white with no evidence of seafoam green. would put a pic in but am on the road and am still having problems loading pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks