• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this RT-524A demilled?

ida34

I got this yesterday. It was supposed to be demilled. I checked inside when I got home but nothing seemed to be missing. One rf cable lead was unplugged so I plugged it back up. Can someone that knows look at the following pics and tell me if I am missing any components? I had thought the part usually missing was the one with the tube that the disconnected lead connects to.

This is how it looked after I connected the cable.

This is the cable that was disconnected.

Commo guys please let me know what I got here. I don't have a base to connect it to yet so I can't test.

I also found that the MC knob is tight and will not move past a few positions. Any idea on how to fix or what I need to replace?

Thanks
Chuck

Jones

Demilled usually refers to intentionally damaged at the same points (cut, crushed, incinerated, shredded, otherwise destroyed) so that it can not be restored to a usuable condition for it's original purpose. By demilling specific parts the idea is to keep anyone from finding a bunch of surplus tactical widgits and making working ones from parts of several demills.
Your RT looks pretty good other than missing part(s). HOWEVER, the part you're missing may have been systematically removed from everyone of them and that part destroyed. They're sneaky that way.

ida34

I was hoping someone that has seen the inside of an operational unit can tell me if everything look like it was in order. The cable was obviously disconnected. There is no way this thing shook off. Someone opened the case and took off the cable. That made the transmitter INOP. I understand that most demills are considerably more destructive but they unit demilling them demilled them to minimize the destruction. I doubt they would dig into the radio to remove a component deep in the case then put it all back. They may have left they cable off if that did happen. I will check it more indepth later. I want to see why the MC knob is sticking and I have to pull it all apart to do that.

Jones

You're right. They'd disassemble to the point they needed to be then pour everything into a scrap bin. Probably disconnected to earmark as one they were getting rid of to keep from having to disassemble to check. Working=keeper, doesn't work=discard.

ida34

I don't know. Maybe I got lucky. As I work it out I will post a thread with pics. I also need to get my ham ticket.

Jones

I'm thinking ya done good. That looks pretty good inside.
Maybe it was just excess; or demilled towards quitting time on a Friday when the last six or seven just got shoved into a bin with the rest of them to clear the work bench.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some radios, all they do is remove the SAME module on EVERY SINGLE of that type of radio, so you can find plenty of the radios, but they are all missing the SAME exact part....

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks complete to me. The module connected to the mc knob may have been removed and the gears are not meshed correctly, causing the indexing to be bad.

Follow the knob shaft thru, and pull the module and see if it is out of time. It is pretty obvious how it should be.

dg

Armada

Chuck, there is a guy on ebay that sells the common removed parts. Think his handle is "oldbuzzardrich". I'm going by memory but I think it is the a2000 crystal, tube and heat sink. You have the tube though. I think the other parts go in from the bottom. Let me know when you get it hooked up. Mine is in and working, maybe we can reach each other. It will be cool to use on the drive to Gen. Jims too.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Chuck, keep us up to date on this!
I for one, am following this with interest since I'm all set for the radio, got the Mt-1029 mount, MX-7778 suppressor, antenna and the VIC-1 intercom installed and all set to go. What is a reasonable price to pay for the RT-524?
Thanks,

Armada

Bjorn, I paid $113 for mine, seemed like a fair price. Picked up the cables "here and there". It needed the tube and crystal. I know a guy that took it in and put the parts in and checked it over. Said it works great. The antenna even automatically tunes itself to the right frequency. All I get is static at the moment :), so I need someone with another one.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, that sound like a good price, thought they were higher.
My antenna base is the AS-3900 and is not tuned with the radio tuner. Not sure what frequency it is set for, 30 Mhz?

Armada

The radios can go for more. That base is used with the singars radio, don't know if it will work with the rt 524. It also uses a different antenna element. You will want an mx-6707 (tunable) base with the as-1730 (lower) and the as-1095 (upper) antenna elements.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
$113 is a steal. Even junk just for display radios I've sold have gone for more than that. If I had to say, I would say $300 is about the going rate with some going +/- of that.

ida34

I got mine for $100 at the Jackson Hot Air Jubilee. I should have gotten the guys name as he said he had 7 total to sell with a few spoken for. He is out of Hillsdale MI. It was marked $140 with I thought was a good price. Especially when you consider shipping. When I asked if it was demilled he said it was but in a user friendly way. He then said he would take $100. I figured this would be the best deal I would ever see. If I can come up with they guys name I will post it. He said he was in the GLMVPA and he was selling some other surplus clothing and such. I have a base on the way so when I get a power cable and a handset I will see what I have. I used this in the Army but did not work on them. I think I have a new handset in my old army stuff box, I just need to find it.

I got luck with my junkv as it had the uprights for the radio shelf and both the matching unit cable and the rf cable for the antenna base. We called them matching units in the army as it matched the antenna to the particular freq selected on the radio.

Armada

THAT is a good deal! I'd like to get another for the duece.
The cables for the antenna are CG-1773/U and CX-4722/VRC per TM 11-5820-401-10-1.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sincgars base will work fine, better in fact since it is a wideband job and doesn't depend on mechanical selection of tuning elements. BTW, those go for serious coin nowdays.

dg

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a pic of my set-up as of today.
The VIC-1 is on the back wall not very easy to make out in the picture and the radio mount is below the companion seat. Power to the VIC-1 comes to it via the radio mount and all communication will be done through the intercom head sets. A switch with each headset selects intercom/off/radio.

Attachments

Armada

The sincgars base will work fine, better in fact since it is a wideband job and doesn't depend on mechanical selection of tuning elements. BTW, those go for serious coin nowdays.
Thats good to know. Guess I'll keep the sincgars 3900 base and mast now that I know it can be used with the rt524. I hate to think what a sincgars encrypted radio would go for, if you could even find one.
Bjorn, I also would like to put the vic-1 in my duece. I may need to pick your brain on how to hook it all up when I get ready to put it in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks