• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

City ordinance......What do you guys think?

eric_banks32

Question about a city ordinance. I'm looking to buy a bobbed deuce and this is what my local code has to say. Am I going to have problems with this?

10.34.130 - Truck storage prohibited certain zones.
The storage or parking of trucks, contracting equipment, trailers, or semi-trailers anywhere within a residential zone as defined by the Zoning Code of the City of Granite City (including all zones designated as "R" zones in Ordinance 4818, The Zoning Code of the City of Granite City), except for reasonable loading and unloading, shall be prohibited, unless such trucks, contracting equipment, trailers or semi-trailers are being used for permitted construction on the premises upon which or adjacent to which such trucks, contracting equipment, trailers or semi-trailers may be parked or standing. Furthermore, any violation of this regulatory chapter shall be deemed a continuing offense on after the issuance of a citation to any violator of this regulatory chapter such that each day that passes following the issuance of a citation for violation of this regulatory shall be deemed a separate offense. Upon issuance of the citation the violator shall be deemed to have notice of the violation, and upon the passage of forty-eight hours after the issuance of such citation, the offending vehicle shall be towed at the owner's expense. The prohibition made by this section shall not apply to boat trailers or other trailers or semi-trailers specifically intended for personal recreational use, registered and licensed to an individual or individuals, parked off-street on a concrete or gravel driveway or pad.​

Here is one on RV's that I think I could use to get around it, if I can get it registered as an RV.​

10.34.010 - Restricted parking of recreational vehicles and watercraft.
A.
The parking of recreational vehicles and watercraft, on public rights-of-way, is hereby prohibited and declared unlawful.
B.
The parking of recreational vehicles and watercraft on private property within the corporate limits of the city is hereby prohibited and declared unlawful in all residential zoning classifications, including, but not limited to, R-1, R-2, R-3, R-4, R-5, and R-6, as said zoning classifications are defined in Ordinance No. 3818 of the City of Granite City, as now or as hereafter amended. However, this parking prohibition shall not apply where the parking of a recreational vehicle or watercraft in residential zoning meets all of the following requirements:
The recreational vehicle or watercraft must not be parked on the street or other public right-of-way, and must be parked over ten feet from the street or sidewalk.
The recreational vehicle or watercraft must be parked on an impervious surface at last equal in size to the recreational vehicle or watercraft, consisting of asphalt, concrete, or manufactured paving stones which are uniform in size and at least four inches thick; however, this subsection shall not apply or be required where:
a.
The owner of the recreational vehicle or watercraft verifies a recreational vehicle or watercraft was parked at the same location on a surface lawfully used for parking said recreational vehicle or watercraft on or before the effective date of this section; and
b.
The parking surface is continuously maintained free of all grass and weeds at all times.
No more than two recreational vehicles or watercraft may be parked or stored on any lot in a residential zoning classification.
The recreational vehicle or watercraft and any trailer must be licensed and operational, lawfully and in fact, and moved from its location at least once during each year, or it shall be deemed a derelict vehicle and subject to citation, municipal towing, or other removal from the property.
The recreational vehicle, or watercraft and trailer, shall not be used to store trash, debris, garbage, plastic bags, or boxes. However, items, boxes, and bags, may be stored in a watercraft, if fully concealed under a cover custom made for that type of watercraft.
C.
Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the owner or operator of a recreational vehicle or watercraft from parking that recreational vehicle or watercraft on a public right-of-way, or in the front of a residence, for a maximum of twenty-four hours for the sole purpose of loading or unloading said recreational vehicle or watercraft. However, placing or allowing any water hose or electric cord on or across any public right-of-way or public sidewalk, shall constitute violation of this section.
D.
Nothing in this section shall be deemed to prohibit the parking or storage of a recreational vehicle or watercraft in a building in which the recreational vehicle, watercraft, and trailer, are fully enclosed, entirely under roof, and not visible to the public.
E.
For purposes of this section, the following definitions will apply:
Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer (not used commercially but designed to provide living quarters for recreational use), truck, camper, van camper, or watercraft trailer, used primarily for recreational purposes and not primarily used commercially.
Watercraft. Any craft for water transportation.
Trailer. Every vehicle without motor power in operation, designed to carry property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and so constructed that most of its weight does not rest upon the towing vehicle.
Vehicle. Every device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported along the ground and shall include but not be limited to automobiles, trucks, buses, motor bikes of any type, motorcycles, scooters of any type, carts, riding lawnmowers, farm implements, tractors, trailers of any type including car tow dollies, and all terrain vehicles commonly referred to as ATV's.​
F.
Persons violating any parking restrictions or provision of this section or ordinance shall be subject to a fine of up to two hundred fifty dollars per day, with each day a violation occurs constituting a separate offense. The property owner, and the persons in possession of the recreational vehicle, watercraft, or trailer, shall all be jointly and severally subject to fine for each said violation.
(Ord. 8086, § 1, 8-19-2008)

What do you guys think?​

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You might get by if you can register it as an RV. I would expect that you will have trouble if anyone decides they don't like the truck. Might want to set up a meeting with code enforcement to show them what you plan on buying and ask their opinion. Could save you huge headaches and money.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Sage advice

I would expect that you will have trouble if anyone decides they don't like the truck. Might want to set up a meeting with code enforcement to show them what you plan on buying and ask their opinion. Could save you huge headaches and money.

I say that's very good advice.

It doesn't matter what we think or how we interpret those code sections here on SS.
What matters is that you get to keep your deuce in the neighborhood...legally[thumbzup]

An ounce of prevention....;)

eric_banks32

I'll have to wave down the code enforcer. I think he might actually live further up the street from me. I see him driving his "enforcer" car down the road all the time.

I looked up Illinois definition of an RV and its not going to help me any.

(625 ILCS 5/1‑169) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1‑169)
Sec. 1‑169. Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business.
(Source: P.A. 84‑986.)

Thanks for the replys,
Eric

bbftx

Idea 1: Granite City's definition of a "truck" is one weighing over 5 tons. If your bobbed deuce weighs under 5 tons it's not subject to that ordinance . How much does your deuce weigh?

Idea 2: go talk to someone at city hall or the local po-po (police) and check. Worst they can do is say you can't park it. Best that can happen is that they realize you're not a commercial operator trying to store a work truck on the street and not bother you when they notice it parked there.

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'll have to wave down the code enforcer. I think he might actually live further up the street from me. I see him driving his "enforcer" car down the road all the time.
I looked up Illinois definition of an RV and its not going to help me any.
(625 ILCS 5/1‑169) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 1‑169)
Sec. 1‑169. Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business.
(Source: P.A. 84‑986.)

Thanks for the replys,
Eric
If it would suit your purpose, maybe you could consider getting an M109/M185A3 and actually make it into a camper/RV.

There are several on this site and all are COOL!

eric_banks32

Idea 1: Granite City's definition of a "truck" is one weighing over 5 tons. If your bobbed deuce weighs under 5 tons it's not subject to that ordinance . How much does your deuce weigh?

Idea 2: go talk to someone at city hall or the pocal po-po (police) and check. Worst they can do is say you can't park it. Best that can happen is that they realize you're not a commercial operator trying to store a work truck on the street and not bother you when they notice it parked there.

I didn't see the 5 ton rating. The truck I am looking at is just over that. Its close enough that it could be put on a diet to get it there but I would imagine they'll look at the original gvw and say no. I'll have to check with them when I get a chance.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Question about a city ordinance. I'm looking to buy a bobbed deuce and this is what my local code has to say. Am I going to have problems with this?

10.34.130 - Truck storage prohibited certain zones.
The storage or parking of trucks, contracting equipment, trailers, or semi-trailers anywhere within a residential zone as defined by the Zoning Code of the City of Granite City (including all zones designated as "R" zones in Ordinance 4818, The Zoning Code of the City of Granite City), except for reasonable loading and unloading, shall be prohibited, unless such trucks, contracting equipment, trailers or semi-trailers are being used for permitted construction on the premises upon which or adjacent to which such trucks, contracting equipment, trailers or semi-trailers may be parked or standing. Furthermore, any violation of this regulatory chapter shall be deemed a continuing offense on after the issuance of a citation to any violator of this regulatory chapter such that each day that passes following the issuance of a citation for violation of this regulatory shall be deemed a separate offense. Upon issuance of the citation the violator shall be deemed to have notice of the violation, and upon the passage of forty-eight hours after the issuance of such citation, the offending vehicle shall be towed at the owner's expense. The prohibition made by this section shall not apply to boat trailers or other trailers or semi-trailers specifically intended for personal recreational use, registered and licensed to an individual or individuals, parked off-street on a concrete or gravel driveway or pad.​
(Ord. 8086, § 1, 8-19-2008)

What do you guys think?​
I think you home free, here's why, the ORD. just says TRUCK, NOT truck over a curtain WEIGHT, NOT how many Axles,, NOT COMMUCIAL TRUCKS, but only TRUCK, so no matter what the intent of the ORD, it is what is written in the ORD. so this has to mean ALL trucks, pickups, jacked up 4x4s, 1 1/2 t duallys, ect., so if you go then ALL must GO accordind to the ORD., EQUAL PORTICTION UNDER THE LAW, now if they change the ORD (thay will), then you would be GRANDFATHERED in, because you had the truck before the change.

eric_banks32

I think you home free, here's why, the ORD. just says TRUCK, NOT truck over a curtain WEIGHT, NOT how many Axles,, NOT COMMUCIAL TRUCKS, but only TRUCK, so no matter what the intent of the ORD, it is what is written in the ORD. so this has to mean ALL trucks, pickups, jacked up 4x4s, 1 1/2 t duallys, ect., so if you go then ALL must GO accordind to the ORD., EQUAL PORTICTION UNDER THE LAW, now if they change the ORD (thay will), then you would be GRANDFATHERED in, because you had the truck before the change.

bbftx brought up the point that the city's definition of a truck is five tons or over.

I guess I need to find out what they're using as a measure for the weight. Is it curb weight, GVW, or payload......

bbftx

Eric,
Here is your municipal police FAQ that mentions the 5 ton definition:
Granite City, Illinois

Here are your ordinances that define a "truck"

10.02.420 - Truck.

"Truck" means every motor vehicle designed, used or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, or for commercial uses, but shall not include privately owned vehicles commonly referred to as pick-up trucks that are primarily used in place of a passenger vehicle, and titled in the name of an individual.

10.48.010 - Definitions.

For the purpose of this chapter, the following terms, phrases, words, and their derivatives shall have the meaning given herein:

"Truck" means a vehicle designed or operated for the transportation of property and whose body weight, or whose combined body and load weight, exceeds five tons.

Go introduce yourself to the powers-that-be. A little courtesy goes a long way in issues like these. If you're not using the deuce in a business, you should be fine.
Good luck,

Last edited:

panshark

E.
Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer (not used commercially but designed to provide living quarters for recreational use), truck, camper, van camper, or watercraft trailer, used primarily for recreational purposes and not primarily used commercially.​

I think you're not going to have a problem. the verbage says EVERY...truck used PRIMARILY for recreational purposes. Just don't turn it into a lemonade stand for more than 50% of the time. The first time anyone complains, refer them to the RV truck clause, end of story.

Shouldn't matter how much the truck weighs, as long as you're rv'ing with it.

Last edited:

Flyingvan911

I would suggest looking for a storage lot to park it just in case. Somewhere that provides boat and RV storage. I pay $37 a month at the local Public Storage. The deuce is a big hit.

eric_banks32

Thanks for the link. I'm not so much worried about the bumper height issue. If I can keep the city happy and get it licensed, I'll be happy. If I get hassled for that then its time to move accross the river. It might be anyway........

Last edited:

mckeeranger

As panshark points out:

Under 10.34.010 it says:

E.
Recreational vehicle. Every camping trailer, motor home, mini motor home, travel trailer (not used commercially but designed to provide living quarters for recreational use), truck, camper, van camper, or watercraft trailer, used primarily for recreational purposes and not primarily used commercially.

I would definately get this clarified. The comma may be a mistake. It might mean "truck camper" not "truck, camper". You would hate to get into trouble because someone mistakenly typed a "," where there shouln't have been one.

If it really is "truck" then you should be good to go. You should ask the main codes office though. If the enforcement guy doesn't want one in the neighborhood, he might tell you wrong just to discourage you.

eric_banks32

I figured out that I can not register it as an rv with the state. I have to have the "D" plates and get it inspected bi-annually because of weight, etc. So my only real option is to talk to the inspector and hope he gives me a thumbs up to keep one in the driveway.

ranchhopper

Get antique vehicle plates all mine have them I dont drive all around the countryside with them but they get their fair share of road time.You could go with MF plates its a mileage F plate I had them on my bobbed deuce D plates wont work too low of GVW you will be stopped all the time for them.You can fab up a DOT bumper to get by the bumper height restriction remember we live in a state that cant seem to spend its money wisely so the state has its police force out doing whatever it takes to get into your wallet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks