• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3-53 goat power plant where are they?

scorpion6

Finding goats is one thing, but has any one out there tried to find the power plants whole and unmolested? I have searched every where including army depots and industrial engine shops with no luck. It seems that all the 4x4 diesel heads have gobbled them all up to put in their Chevy and fords.
I need a power plant that wont break the bank?:drool:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Years ago at Fort Benning GA I met a guy that had bought a big lot of them from DRMO (this was before Gooberment larcenation took over).

He was required to strip them and demill them on the yard.....he could keep all the parts but the cabs and bodies had to be mutilated (while DRMO watched). He was sending the cabs to an aluminum smelter near Benning.

He told me he sold a lot of the engines to shrimp boat owners......you might try snooping around in LA or anywhere else there is a shrimping industry.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also try looking in South Eastern KY in the log woods as a lot of the ones Howard Hammonds had
went to the loggers around Greenville KY and the mines. He said they used them on pumps and such
in the mines, and the loggers put them on their log skidders. Also remember the 3-53 used in the Goat is a
aluminum block (Marine engine) and is different from a CAST IRON motor. I am not a Detroit expert by
any stretch of the imagination but I do know that what I am telling you so far is right.
popacom / BILL in KY :mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might try Adelmans in Canton OH or Sam Winers in Akron. One of them used to advertise aluminum 3.53s and had hundreds of them.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do believe Ive seen some GL genorators that hav DD in them. Look for one the is 400hrz then it would hut so bad to RP. (RP) rape / pilllage.

JDToumanian

The aluminum 3-53 was used ONLY in the goat. It looks very similar to the iron blocked engines that would be in other applications. I don't see why you couldn't put an iron blocked engine in a goat, but you'd need the goat-specific parts off an aluminum engine (like the exhaust manifold?) .....And I don't know if you'd want to take it for a swim with the extra weight, unless weight wasn't the reason for having DD make the Gov't a special aluminum blocked engine instead of using the off-the-shelf model....

guner51

goat engine

I have one that I would sell . It has the radiator, starter, flywheel, bellhousing,
motor mounts, air cleaner, and I think the cold start parts and wiring.
I don't know if it runs or not. I will throw in another engine for parts some extra starters, and a bunch of extra engine parts, and if you want two basket case
transfer cases. How about $700.00 I'm near Peoria,Illinois
email me williams.frank@mchsi.com

scorpion6

I would be very interested! Again I can not afford gold standard, but even one that needs work is better than none. Off hand you would not know if they are complete with radiator mount ,tanks etc?
My power plant was taken out before the unit was sold. They stripped the whole power plant radiator tanks and all. aua

scorpion6

I just wanted to add to this thread that all of you guys are great, and can never truly know how grateful I am for the replies and help!!!!roflrofl:grd:

scorpion6

Thats me gotta be different. Not done with her yet .....I hope to have her in sand pebble camo by summer. I just found the des #s under the fire engine red paint so I know for sure they are going back.;)

scorpion6

Does anyone know what clutch kit fits the 353 diesel in the gamma goat with the sm420 tranny? I need parts numbers or replacement parts numbers or even vehicle apps that match .:?:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks