• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jimmy - Save or not?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, I need ya'll opinion on this one. I bought this sad '42 Banjo axle LWB Cargo CCKW for $300. Mainly because it has a complete front axle and transfer case. My question is, should I save the entire truck or not? Here are the stats: Frame not cut, but has been fishplated behind the cab. Cab is obviously ruined. Hood and fenders not usable (rust). Engine missing head and open to weather. No transmission. Rear ends are missing the 3rd members (chunks). Basically all that would be saved is a rolling (sort of) chassis. Wheels are no good. The recovery will cost me $150 in diesel. Are these GMC's so rare now that I should save this mess for posterity? Or just harvest the usable parts and scrap the rest?

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Take what you need and try to pass on the rest to others . Remember the old saying about one mans trash .....Just ask and you may be suprised with who wants what 2cents

paulfarber

If the metal is pitted then the parts are not really worth much. I see a few things (and can come up with a list of things that should be scavenged).. but again, pitted metal is of little use to anyone unless they like the bondo.

If it has a data plate I would take it (collecting data plates is a hobby unto itself.. PM me if its available :) )

Here's a list of things that should never go to a dump (as long as they are serviceable):

Data plates
Pintal
Rear and front bumpers
Gas tank
Battery box
Hydrovac
Brake cylinders
Rims
Fenders/running boards (even it rusted, they can be spliced)
Headlight buckets
Seats and seat risers
Radiator
Cab inspection/master brake cylinder covers
Bed

Thats the list.. most everything there is specific to a CCKW.

Downside of a CCKW is there there are few 'small parts'.

paulfarber

If that were close to me I would still pick it over... I see lots of parts that could use a close up look to see if they are just rusted or pitted.. a good media blasting will cure a lot of problems.

68427vette

part it out,, and list on ebag, for scrap price,, if no one wants it,, sadly, but true,, srap it, if it has the data plate, you may be able to see the roller, and plate together,,, location??? jc

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks