• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Saw these Unimogs

two.fiveM35

I was at Red River Army Depot last week and saw these pull in. Do we use them in the US? Also saw alot of Hummer 's that were being shipped in from Belgium. I don't think we will be seeing them on GL. What is the military ID number of the Unimogs?

Attachments

Scarecrow1

Don't be to sure on the hummers . they have been almost banned for use in the war torn areas due to the number of casualties from IEDs. So with the number of them not being used they may be up for sale sooner than you think. Thanks for the pics ....

flighht2k5

Banned
Don't be to sure on the hummers . they have been almost banned for use in the war torn areas due to the number of casualties from IEDs. So with the number of them not being used they may be up for sale sooner than you think. Thanks for the pics ....
They haven't been banned from war torn areas.

Wolf.Dose

The SEE was built in Germany by Unimog. Model is, as said, the 419, a version of the 406. Freightliner was put on them , for Freightliner by that time issued the offer (buy American).
Wolf

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw five of them at Camp Lejeune on the GL lot several months ago. They had USMC markings on them, and were brand new, not a scratch on them. The GL guy had no idea what was going to happen to them as they had recently arrived on the lot. Unless there is a specific need for a 419, I would rather have a 406.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SEE is a fine vehicle and does not have to stay as an excavator all the time. A friend had his SEE at our annual Moab, UT, trail ride this year.

Pictures for your enjoyment and SEE 'mog appreciation :lol: The yucky yellow one is my 1957 French Army troop carrier with an added bed.

Attachments

Makincold

OMG! The first three pictures look like if you put on brakes going down those steep hills it would just "flip" over forward! Great looking truck though

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OMG! The first three pictures look like if you put on brakes going down those steep hills it would just "flip" over forward! Great looking truck though
It FEELS like that too with the cab-over position! Even in the longer wheelbase 404's, 416's, and SBU series 'mogs. But, they are remarkably stable and rated to 100% slope (45 degree) up and down. The center of gravity is misleading. CG is roughly a foot behind and 1.5 ft below the driver's butt (not an MB specification location:-?) due to the massive transmission the mog is built around.

The winch line is pulling another vehicle up the "Escalator" after it got a little out of critical line.

Here's what the other end of the winch line looks like:

Attachments

JCole

Actually, the 406 is notoriously unstable when going downhill empty. The wheelbase is about that of a Jeep YJ. Ballast or load of the back and it's usually fine, but there are tons of stories of people riding down obstacles on the front wheels only. The u1100's and 404's are much easier to wheel downhill.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are certainly right about that! Here's a picture of one of my 406 Unimogs set up with a winch on the back (a big Braden with hydraulic power, 150 ft of 9/16" cable). This is a much more stable setup with the big weight hanging low in the rear. We had just completed extracting a Land Rover which was stranded on a nasty trail at Windrock OHV, for 4 days.

Bob

Actually, the 406 is notoriously unstable when going downhill empty. The wheelbase is about that of a Jeep YJ. Ballast or load of the back and it's usually fine, but there are tons of stories of people riding down obstacles on the front wheels only. The u1100's and 404's are much easier to wheel downhill.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those interested in getting a SEE, be advised - emmado22 here used to have those in his unit and said they were maintenance nightmares, due to the amount of hydraulic lines and other mechanicals taking up every available space in the engine bay. If you line wrenching in tight spots, this truck is for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks