• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hiab on a Mog

dc3coyote

I am in the process of getting my self a new Unimog, the woman I have been talking too also has a Knuckle boom for sale. I have spoken for both. After looking at the pics for a few minutes I got too thinking about putting the knuckleboom on the mog.

What are yalls opnions? How badly will it affect the Mogs offroad capicity?
Or should I just stick to putting the boom on the back of a Duece?

I am looking for ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Branan

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How big of a HIAB is it? I would be worried about raising the center of gravity adding that much weight above the frame. Mogs are pretty high up anyway.

It would be cool though!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
What Mog are you looking at? I would think a 416 or other long wheelbase Mog will handle the weight and stability issues better than a 406/409 for off-road. I have seen quite a few Mogs with Hiab k-booms mounted on them on Euro Mog sites. They look quite handy.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
If it is sized apropriately, I think a mog would be an excellent vehicle to mount a k-boom on. What model mog, what model hiab?

dc3coyote

Sorry I thought I mentioned the Mog is a 404. The K boom is coming off a different project that I have
gotten lined up. Its the boom thats off to the side of the Mack Truck.
Any experts able to identify it?

Thanks Branan

Attachments

dc3coyote

I am still waiting on the owner to reply about the K boom, but if you can identify the boom from the pics I wouldnt complain.

Also if anyone can help with finding any info on the Mack truck I would really appreciat that Google seems to
be kinda lacking on the info. Heres what the owner has told me about it.
The information on the Mac:
model (AER) body PK
VIN number 37QR574P4
the engine is the original Mac engine that came with the truck, and has 23,000 original miles on it
He took the truck apart to refurbish it and died before he could finish, it
He wrote a song to go with this truck.
(My Husband spent about 10,000 on the music track)
He has some of the original session players for Elvis and the Beatles playing on the tracks.

Debbie

Thanks
Branan

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I have INSTRUCTIONS on doing this. I brought a 1/87 kit of a MOG with a k boom for the Kboom and trailer, so it looks like your idea is factory OE, the kit is KIBRI 11016, go to WALTHERS.COM (a 1/87 train SUPER catalog) go to vehicles search KIBRI you will find it, If you went the instructions, send me your address

Last edited:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ron was referring to Darwin T's post.

Personally, if I were going to use a 404 for off-road, I would skip the k-boom. They are such capable off-road trucks that I wouldn't want to do anything to hinder that. You might limit the frame articulation depending on how you mount it.

coachgeo

Ron was referring to Darwin T's post.

Personally, if I were going to use a 404 for off-road, I would skip the k-boom. They are such capable off-road trucks that I wouldn't want to do anything to hinder that. You might limit the frame articulation depending on how you mount it.
The folk with knowledge about implements, attachments etc. added to Mogs are found at benzworld.org Unimog forum.

if the legs of that crane fold out of the way there is no way you will limit it's articulation. A radiobox ways 75% more than that crane does.

That being said though...... a 404 has no hydralics. you would have to add a pump either to a PTO or a seperate motor driving one. Would have to rig a hydraulic pump to PTO if you go that route since none of the 404's came with one. Doable maybe. PTO is only 540rpm if Im not mistaken though. Think most PTO pumps beefy for a crane expect 1000rpm but don't quote me on that.

Does your 404 have a PTO? What is your intended use of the 404?

saddamsnightmare

October 31st, 2011.

Everybody THINKS that the Unimog is top heavy? Man, for a FWD ( and a real FWD at that, with factory lockers), the center of gravity is just behind and below the cab floor due to that humoungus transmission (speaking from the 404.114, that is). I've driven almost every conventional US FWD and many 6X6's, and I have a heck of a lot more faith in the Unimog's stability on side and front/rear slopes. Just look at the Unimog MB Test site videos, only a Russian logging truck driver could beat them worse then Mercedes does proving them....[thumbzup]:driver: You may loose some bed length, but you might just gain some utility....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks