• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wc56

mcinfantry

i am CONTEMPLATING resto-modding one like my wc53 WAS. matter of fact, using the running gear from the wc53 in the wc56

can anyone tell me how well they seal with the doors on? the m715 was fine, but i need more seats!

nattieleather

Lee,

I would think that they would seal about as well as any jeep with a canvas top and doors. Someone is going to get wet. It's the law of Military Vehicles... :) I wish I could give you a better answer but I'm just making an educated guess based on 25 years of MV experience.

Thunder in NWOR

I have driven my WC56 in rain, snow, wind driven dust, all without the doors.
My son and I have learned to dress for it!!
My friend also has a WC56 and he has all the doors. His keep out the weather at least as good as an M35a1...
and almost as good as my WC53 (which leaks abound windows and the roof seam)
In my opinion - the only problem with Command Car doors is the cost of obtaining them....!!!!

mcinfantry

I have driven my WC56 in rain, snow, wind driven dust, all without the doors.
My son and I have learned to dress for it!!
My friend also has a WC56 and he has all the doors. His keep out the weather at least as good as an M35a1...
and almost as good as my WC53 (which leaks abound windows and the roof seam)
In my opinion - the only problem with Command Car doors is the cost of obtaining them....!!!!
I believe I have sourced a bare frame. And body. Can you tell me if the springs from my wc-53 will fit the wc-56?

Thunder in NWOR

Visually, the springs on my WC56, WC53 and my in-restoration WC51 all look the same.

A quick look at the ORD 9, TM 9-808, 1 May 1945 shows:
CC-1090570 - Spring, front, assembly (WC-64 KD Ambulance)
CC-1088006 - Spring, front, assembly (except Ambulances)
CC-927754 -Spring, rear, assembly (12 leaves)(Emergency Repair Chassis)
CC-920987 - Spring, rear, assembly (12 leaves)(except Ambulances and Emergency Repair Chassis)
CC-1090835 - Spring, rear, assembly (WC-64 KD Ambulance)

So - the manual confirms that the WC-53 springs will fit the WC-56.

mcinfantry

Ok, any ideas, pointers?

I am thinking that I will only have to cut the rear driveshaft, and everything should swap , I think including the floorpans and transmission hump.

mcinfantry

Visually, the springs on my WC56, WC53 and my in-restoration WC51 all look the same.

A quick look at the ORD 9, TM 9-808, 1 May 1945 shows:
CC-1090570 - Spring, front, assembly (WC-64 KD Ambulance)
CC-1088006 - Spring, front, assembly (except Ambulances)
CC-927754 -Spring, rear, assembly (12 leaves)(Emergency Repair Chassis)
CC-920987 - Spring, rear, assembly (12 leaves)(except Ambulances and Emergency Repair Chassis)
CC-1090835 - Spring, rear, assembly (WC-64 KD Ambulance)

So - the manual confirms that the WC-53 springs will fit the WC-56.
Ok, is the frame width the same? In other words, would the original axles have fit under either truck? I'm trying to wrap my head around the difficulty

jhooah

Look at the Vintage Power Wagons parts list, it shows which of the series interchange with what if you study the details. Hate to say this most I ever fitted in the Command Car was 5 (seated) and a child where the shifter was. No 'adjustment' under your front seat, the Spring rate was for a heavy load, if all your doing is hauling people off road, consider better shocks and lower rate springs (leave some leaves out perhaps)
All cab floor boards are the same in WC from memory. If your transfering froma winch to non-winch model your radiator grill and shell will be different (not just the grill)
Winch models had longer frames, but you could use M37 winch extensions.
V/r W. Winget

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks