• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Overkill Customs M920 Build

eldgenb

Well I purchased this truck in the beginning of summer and through GL F ups I was able to pick it up about a month ago. Thanks again to Soni, and Ross for your help in trouble shooting and fixing problems when I picked it up, I would have been screwed without you. My road trip started out at a base I cannot spell but it begins with a B and is just outside of the AEX airport. Took the red eye and ended up in LA at 8:30 am, rented a car and picked up the truck, from there we (my brother) spent the next 4 hours diagnosing and fixing problems to get on the road (thank you tractor supply company for the use of your tools, very nice people). From LA we drove thought the night to Nashville TN to pick up the National Crane N80 knuckle boom that I had purchased before and then headed home to Spokane.
Total trip 2550 miles total time 3.5 days. I would never recommend doing it that fast again, between the sleep deprived induced hallucinations and the mood swings I could never remember to bust out the camera. Here are some pics of the road trip and of the current buildup.

I ended up taking the winch off (for sale) and the tag axle (also for sale) to make room for the crane and deuce bed that I was planning on putting on. I was originally going to do a sleeper but utility won out over comfort. I reused the hydraulic pump that came on the 920, I did end up having to take it apart and removing one of the two pumps built into it just so it would not make my crane act like a machine in "Maximum Overdrive" (if you don't know what that movie is then you are too young). It was very simple actually, the gaskets are reusable and the internals are painfully obvious as to how it works. When I picked up the crane it was not folded up well so it was very off balance when it came time to mounting it, after enough cussing and beer we were able to get it mounted and folded up nice. The bed was the easiest part of the whole thing, I would swear it was meant to fit that truck. Any questions feel free to ask.

Attachments

jwaller

would be neat if the bed was able to be removed with the crane kinda like the trucks with roll off beds. lift it off and remount the 5th wheel if needed.

what you going to do with the old rear winch, pom me if you want to sell it.

M920

Eldgin,
That truck turned out awesome! lookin at your truck, I realize now why my M920 has a rather large turning radius. With the pusher axle gone, I can see now how long of a wheel base the M920 really has!
So......what else are you going to do to it?
Oh and thanks for all the pictures.....I bet your neighbors "love" you almost as much as mine do me.....lol

Soni

TacticalTruck

The M916 I got there on that same sale is dead in the arse. I've changed out the fuel filter a couple times. Has anyone checked which fuel button is in their's?

Jeff

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Looks good,I am in the process of converting my M916 to a dump truck.Sounds like you had a hellava road trip.

TacticalTruck

It's the button in the fuel pump that sets fuel rail pressure. IIRC the bigger the number the smaller the hole which lets less fuel to the return and increases fuel pressure increasing hp. There is also a spring in there that sets max rpm. Years ago I put a higher # in my M816. I wanna say it was an 8 or 10.

Jeff

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It's the button in the fuel pump that sets fuel rail pressure. IIRC the bigger the number the smaller the hole which lets less fuel to the return and increases fuel pressure increasing hp. There is also a spring in there that sets max rpm. Years ago I put a higher # in my M816. I wanna say it was an 8 or 10.

Jeff
Jeff, if you remember what was the stock button that you changed from

AMGeneral

I would guess a #10 Jeff ,that number sticks in my head from my M816,if memory serves it bumps your governed engine speed to 2450 to cope with that dreaded 3 to 4 shift. Maybe Will Wagner will chime in here.

Nice truck BTW,I wish I had a 916 or 920,haven't run across the right one yet.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would guess a #10 Jeff ,that number sticks in my head from my M816,if memory serves it bumps your governed engine speed to 2450 to cope with that dreaded 3 to 4 shift. Maybe Will Wagner will chime in here.
would that not put the 250 into a over speed situation

AMGeneral

would that not put the 250 into a over speed situation
Ron,I ONLY used it when shifting from 3rd to 4th,and I was the only person to drive that truck with the pump that way.

I changed it back to stock when I sold it. I don't reccommend it to anyone,it is a LOT of RPMS for a 250,If I blew it I would chock it up to my not watching the tach while shifting up.

You can hear the 250 screaming here,I shifted into 4th just as the video ends..
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6960752491058668463#

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks