• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a little advice

Takai13

Going to look at a '58 404.1 in the next few days and looking for some advice on things that I should be looking for. I know that it runs but the clutch is apparently seized up. The standard "ran when parked line". The current owner has had it for almost 40 years on his farm. Originally it was used for moving freight cars in a rail yard. Anything in particular I should be looking at?

papercu

Well if it won't move the most you can check for is rust and if there is water in the fluids. Should go for scrap price or maybe just a little more. Wayne

L999here

...complete tear-down...?

Looks like you are in for a complete tear-down and frame-up restoration. Whew...! Hope you have an indoor place to do it...not an easy task,but good luck in your endeavor....nopics

UNIMOG-GUY

I have a couple of questions for you...

Why a 404?

Have you ever had a Unimog before?

Are you mechanically inclined?

You will probably need to replace the brake lines (they are rubber and collapse internally with age), rebuild the carb, and replace/rebuild the master cylinder. These are parts that when a 404 sits for awhile typically need to be replaced/ rebuilt. Do you have any friends that have a Unimog? If so I'd ask them to go check it out with you.

How much is this person asking? Don't worry I live in VA and have no intention of adding a 3rd 404 to my collection.

Do they have a title for the 404?

If you want to PM me the 40411..... VIN number I would be happy to look it up for you and make sure that it's truly a '58. When I bought my 2 404's I was told one was a '67 and the other was a '69. Comes to find out one was a '63 and the other was a '65.

Also you will probably want to become a member of Unimog - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum in addition to your membership here. It is a Unimog specific website with lots of very valuable information.

srodocker

how much is he asking? think it all depends on how much you actually want to do. and of course pics!

you have any other mvs?

you shoudl come up to wa to one of our rallys next year

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
......but the clutch is apparently seized up.
I have been able to "unfreeze" a few clutches by driving them. The disc becomes stuck to the flywheel after sitting for a long time and can be freed by some driving in an open area free of obstacles or surprises.

Rick

Takai13

Finally managed to get out to look at that 'mog. The owner is quite a busy guy. I think this needs more space and time than I have right now. I definitely has not been started recently. Like I had been initially told. The motor can still be cranked with a wrench, so it isn't seized. But, the clutch is definitely froze up.

Attachments

Takai13

Not really sure myself. It weighs about 6380. So whatever scrap prices is would be a start. Just not sure I want to get into the project that bad right now. I really don't have a place to put it and it would take some time to sort through just to get it running. Stopping and street legal are another time frame all together. I hate to see it fade away like that though. When they got (about 40+ years ago) apparently only 8 'Mogs were stateside at the time.

Takai13

Looking at those photos though....it looks identical to that 401. Those side brackets for the stake bed are still laying on it in a pile. The truck still has its original bed (mostly). That cab is pretty small to.

Takai13

would be perfect for a offroader. yea it does look like the 401 or 402
That truck has literally been doing that for most of its life. Originally it pulled rail cars and the current owner has used it on his ranch and as a hunting rig. He even told me about driving it across the Umpqua River. You could see the stack, his snorkel, and part of the windshield.

spicergear

That winch is worth the asking price to some Mog people...if it works. Prolly worth half the price in parts. Be a neat resto project! They bring decent money cleaned up!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks