• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M 884

dodgethis12

Hello guys, new here, but been cruising the site now for about a week. I just picked up a 1977 m880 here in VA. Turns out to actually be an m884, but everybody just calls them m880's around here. Its in decent shape, needs floor pans, but mechanically its good. It was part of the local fire and police museum and has spent most of its life sitting. When I got it, it didnt hardly run due to a crapped out fuel pump and shot carb, with the help of a new pump and a 4bbl intake swap with a 600 cfm edelbrock carb this week she now runs like a kitten, I also had to replace plugs wires, etc along with the starter.

The good: ITS ONLY GOT 23,000 MILES!!! and still wearing orig paint and military issue tires!!

The bad: NO AC!!

The ugly: Needs floor pans!!

Just thought I would post up my little story of my m884 and what I've done in the past week or so. I'll try to attach a pic, its the only one I've taken so far. Here she is on the way home fresh out of storage:

I've had several people try to buy the truck already. Its super super rare to find W200 dodges around here in this great of shape, most of these trucks are super rusted, or cut up play toys. However, Im not selling for at least $2500 and It would have to be promised a good home, I'll probably just wind up keeping it anyways I've only had it for a week and Im already attached..... if it just had ac and PS!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power steering is an easy swap with junk yard parts. The 28V 100A alternator might present a problem with this though. There are still kits available to add an unde dash A/C unit to the W-200 but again, the 28V alt might throw a wrench into the procedure. Other than that, the M884 is an awesome truck. Does it still have the brackets in the bed for the shelter?

dodgethis12

28V alternator?? Are you saying that the alternator on this truck produces 28V? I do have a somewhat different problem, it seems that the voltage regulator isnt really doing its job because when its running Im getting close to 16V back at the battery. As far as I can tell its a 12V truck and the alternator appears to be a factory Dodge unit. There is also a GIGANTIC bracket where the power steering pump would normally be on the drivers side that looks like it could hold an alternator of some sort. The guy at the police museum said it (whatever went on the bracket) was not on there when they received it from the military. There is also an extra battery tray and cables running everywhere on this truck that I have no idea what they do..... I did manage to play with the switch panel on the dash the other day and discover all the neat features to the blackout lights.....

as for the bed shelter, theres some weard like pipe mounts inside the bed and 3 big holes near the tailgate on each side. Theres some angle iron bracket pieces loose in the back but I dont know if they go the truck or not. Im still really trying to figure out what most of this stuff is/does and why some of it is there... which this site is super aswsome.... I also forgot to to add that this is the first 70's W200 I;ve ever seen with this big of a rear leaf pack and an additional overload pack on top of that. I drove it down the dirt road here on the farm and this thing rides like a TANK!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M884 is a shelter carrier. It has a bigger spring pack just for this. It aslo came factory with a separate 28V 100A alternator and second pair of batteries. Thats what that bracket is on the drivers side. The 28V stuff was to power radios and the like. Sounds like the batts and alt are gone but they left the wiring. Did you notice a big box (votlage regulator) under the hood? That would be for the 28V system. As far as shelter tie towns, there would be a bar that goes across the front of the bed and 2 triangle shaped brackets that mount on each rear corner of the bed. The shelter ties down to that. The rear brackets are often removed in civilian life to give better access to the bed. The stock alternator on the other side is just that. Everything on the truck is 12V. I believe 2 of the 5 manuals for this truck are available on Logsa. The manuals in paper show up on Ebay from time to time also. The M880 series recieves little attention from most of the collectors but there is a group of die hard M880 fans and quite a few on Steel Soldiers.

McGuyver

I second what Kenneth has said here. It sounds like most of the 24 volt system has been removed from the truck. So if you really would like to install power steering, all you would have to do is remove the 24 volt alternator bracket and you'll have room for the power steering pump. The power steering gear box is a straight bolt on too and can be obtained from any Dodge W100 or W200 from the at least `74 through `77 or `78 out of the wrecking yard. Good luck to you, sounds lie you got a great deal with this truck! :D

P.S. A/C can be installed from a donor truck out of the Wrecking yard. I have a friend who took everything from a RamCharger at the wrecking yard and installed it in his Club Cab W200. He had to take EVERYTHING though in order to make it worked, this included the condenser, compressor, evaporator, as well as just about all of the Dash too (there are A/C vents in the sheet metal of the "sub" dash.) Again, it is a straight bolt on, but it is a LOT of work, and may have required removing the windshield in order to get the old dash out and the new one in. One down side to all of this however, is that you will have a system that was designed to run on R-12 refergerant. There may be a conversion kit, but I have no idea if it is available or how much it costs. If anyone here knows, please post it.

dodgethis12

re

I have found another M880 local and have decided to get it. Its a regular m880 with a build date of 2/76. I think it will serve more the purpose of what I need and at the same time I wont be ruining a historical truck like the m884. If anybody wants this truck Im asking on $2300 for it as is. I have more than that in it, but I now have it running good, comes with all original parts that I got it with, and all little bugs worked out. Pump the gas 1 time and hit the key and it starts every time now. Somebody should want a great low milage rare m884 for 2300. Its all original and has a real good body on it.

BThrasher

dodgethis
I am near Roanoke Va. and I have a 1977 M-882 4x4 with power steering in good shape with some rust for sale if you know some one that is looking for one let me know. Asking $1500.00 I can send photos and more info if needed
Thanks,Ben

dodgethis12

BThrasher said:
dodgethis
I am near Roanoke Va. and I have a 1977 M-882 4x4 with power steering in good shape with some rust for sale if you know some one that is looking for one let me know. Asking $1500.00 I can send photos and more info if needed
Thanks,Ben
Now sitting in my driveway. Thanks buddy.

BThrasher

Chris
Glad to see that you made it home safe with your truck. Hope that this hunting season is good for you and Scott. And when you see him tell him thanks also. It was my pleasure to meet both of you this weekend. Thanks,Ben

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks