• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thunder over Michigan

ida34

Is anyone else attending Thunder over Michigan this weekend at Willow Run Airport in Ypsilanti? I will be taking the deuce out. Both my children will be attending also.

Dieselmec21

Yes I am coming up from Columbus Ohio area. There are abut 10 other guys that I reenact with and we do the 83 Inf Div WWII. I am bring up my duce and trailer Thurs morning. It is supposed to cool down some and it should be a good show. Look me up, ask for Jeff, would like to talk to you. Oh and by the way where did you get that winter front? I am looking for one.

ida34

I will definitely look you up. My son Ty is wanting to do some WWII reenacting and is looking for someone to ask how he can get into it. He is saving up for a Garand from CMP. I hope to get there Saturday around 7am or so. I have the another cover. The headlight covers are cloudy. If it got to be a problem I was going to replace the plastic but I never drive it at night and it was never a problem. If you want it I would take $15 for it. If you want I will load it up and bring it for you to look at.

ida34

RE: I forgot..

I love this show every year. Last year was the largest collection of B-17's since WWII.

Dieselmec21

IDA34 Yes bring the winter front, that would be great. Dont by any chance have the attaching hardware (clips) di ya? We have a great unit and can show him everything he needs and can looik our stuff over and all that good stuff. We will have a big pyramid tent, cp and fl and wall tent plus all the shelter halves out. We all got olur rifles at the CMP so we can give you some tips. I got my 2 years ago for $325. They have some great deals. I am going up Thurs to help set stuff up so look me up! Thanks Jeff

ida34

Sorry, no clips. My truck had them already attached. It does have the springs for the sides.

ida34

RE: Is there a place to camp?

I could have camped if I wanted to but I am registered as a participant. I do know that they have an area for using civy tents but I am not sure of the rules they have on spectators. I have been talking to Christopher Causley as he is the point of contact for the military vehicles. The parking lot is a large field and may be suitable for camping out if they do not have a problem with it.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/contact.htm

ida34

I emailed my contact and he provided the following response.

Chuck,

Our official line is that there is no camping for spectators, but that is between the campee and airport police.....
The Wayne county fairgrounds are about a mile away and have camping there, they can be reached at
Address:
Wayne County Fairgrounds
10871 Quirk Road
PO Box 308
Belleville, MI 48112

Phone: (734)697-7002
Fax: (734)753-0751

Chris

I hope this helps.

Chuck

Dieselmec21

Nice web site Citizen. I will see you all there! Look me up, it will be nice to meet you guys.

ida34

Citizen,
Were you the one with the trailer with the civy tires and the 101st ABN stuff?

Chuck

citizensoldier

It wasnt me..

Hello there. No is was not me. I did not bring any stuff down with me . Just the wifes S-10. It was a awsome show and I will go next year. Didnt get much time to talk to any re-enactors or even look around that area. We had some family friends with us and they were having trouble with the heat.
The battle was awsome!! I loved it when the P-47's did ther mock strafing runs. One of the guys with a Hetzer or however you spell it is a member of MMMT. He has some realy nice stuff.
Who or what were you at the show? I was suprized to see somany post war vehicles there. Lots of cool stuff and the show was one to remember.

ida34

RE: It wasnt me..

I had the deuce and it was parked in the air park area under the tail of a large plane. I had commo netting over the rear of the truck to keep down the temps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks