• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$350 for M101 trailer- a good deal?

McGuyver

Hi guys,

I'm going to pick up what I think is an M101 trailer (couldn't find the nameplate) tonight after work and was hoping you all could give me some quick pointers on it. Is this the smaller 3/4 ton trailer? It has the five lug wheels on it and has the leg instead of the wheel on the end of the tongue. Would I be able to pull it okay with my M880? It already has the pintle hook on it. The loop on the trailer looks kind of big, I'm going to check it out tonight before buying it to make sure it will work. I'll take some pictures when I get it home if I end up getting it. Thanks.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
My M116 trailer which is another version of the 3/4ton pulled just great behind my volvo station wagon, so your truck should be fine. Have you figured out the light connection?

McGuyver

My M880 has the same big beefy gazillion pin trailer plug on it, so I'm thinking it will mate up just fine. Anyone know how heavy these trailers are empty? Any other identifying characteristics for these trailers that I can use to confirm that it is actually an M101 3/4 ton trailer?

citizensoldier

M101

The M101A1 weighs in at about 1300lb's. The box is 8 feet by about 5 feet. You have a older A1 version if it has the 5 lug bud rim that matches a M37 and the old Dodges. The plug is the same for all versions but your 880 is probably 12 volt and the trailer lights could be 24 volt unless the are the newer universal ones with a resistor in them. If they are 24 just change the bulbs.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M101

You can run the 24V bulbs on 12V in a pinch but they will be very dim. From all you said, the trailer does sound like the M101 and you're Dodge will pull it just fine!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M101

You can run the 24V bulbs on 12V in a pinch but they will be very dim. From all you said, the trailer does sound like the M101 and you're Dodge will pull it just fine!

McGuyver

Well guys, I took some pictures, but I can't seem to get them to opload. Is there something wrong with the picture posting option? This is not the first time I've tried to post pictures and had it fail. :?

McGuyver

P.S. I found the nameplate tonight (it was very faded) This is actually an M101A1 built in 1968. This seems to be using the same tires as the M37 as you all suggested. By the way, anybody know wher I can get new lug nut studs for these? The may be one or two that need replacing.

CGarbee

The wheels, brake shoes, brake backing plate, hubs, etc., are the same as those used on the M37. You can get wheel studs and such from any of the dealers that cary M37 parts such as A.B. Linn, John Bizal (Midwest Military), Sid Beck (Ace Surplus), Fred Potter (Adirondack Dodge), George M. (Vermont Commercial Salvage), and others. M101 and M101A1 are pretty much the same trailer with slight differences to the brake handles and to the intervehicular cable retention and designed to be towed behind the M37 originally, then the M715 and such. The M101A2 has surge brakes and different hubs (for use behind the CUCV). Some in my area have been rebuilt for use behind the HMMWV (using even newer hubs) since the early HMMWV trailers had some metalurgical problems and distribution of them was a tad slow for the local units...

If it has the stock lights, just pull the covers and install 12v bulbs if you need to. Conversion chart for bulb numbers is on my website (and perhaps in some form on this site as well...).

citizensoldier

Yep its a M101A1

Well it looks like you did good for the price you paid. That is actualy a generator trailer version. It should have a belly tank underneath and some outlines of where the generator, or generators sat. Good purchase.. Nice M880 too.. I like the paint. :D

CGarbee

RE: Yep its a M101A1

I missed that it was a generator trailer (didn't look at the photos until just now). If you remove the tank and such, keep me in mind as I would like to have the fuel filler for use on a project. Also, the gas tank that was fitted under the M101/M101A1 for use with the generator trailer is identicle to the M37 gas tanks except that it has an additional fuel pickup point. Since M37 tanks are getting hard to find, if your generator trailer has a good tank and your not going to use it, please consider making it available to someone with a M37 who needs a tank... (A good place to post about it in that case in addition to this site is www.g741.org).

Good price.

McGuyver

Thanks for the good pointers guys. Unfortunately someone already snagged the tank a long time ago. I suspected that was where a fuel tank went, but wasn't sure why it was needed. The generator set makes sense. If I get rid of the filler neck and other misc. hardware I'll keep you in mind.
I assume then that all the funky brackets and box in the bed are for the generator then? What wattage generator did it carry?

CGarbee

2.5 or 5kw... Mine was missing the generator and tank as well. Had a bunch of jerry can holders bolted to the wheel wells and a lot of other brackets installed for light poles and such. I suspect that a lot of what you got depended on what the generator was powering...

McGuyver

Ah, I see. "Light poles" that must be what the funny socket like cylindrical brackets are up at the front of the trailer. By the way, do you happen to know what the lidded box is for up at the front of the bed on the driver side?

P.S. I was looking at the nameplate tonight, and it listed as a technical manual for the trailer TM 9-2330-202-14P. Has anyone got a PDF copy of this? I tried LOGSA, but their web site isn't working correctly right now. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

That TM is available here on Steel Soldiers. Check the trailer for another small ID plate that should indicate the unit as PU-xxx. That tells up what powerplant trailer it was and that TM can be researched as well.

McGuyver

Thanks Kenneth. I'll download that as soon as the "Technical Manuals" section is back up and running. it seems to not be working right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks