• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation Leg Room

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After all the learning on the bed, drilling out the spot welds, flipping the front and back, and learning how to stitch the steel back together, I decided to 'go another direction' with the bed.

I took the dilapidated bed off of the parts deuce and cut off all the sides, turning it into a flat bed. Then took two feet out of it making it 10 foot long. Just long enough to hold a Unimog radio box that I will use as a part time camper.

Then I went out and bought some 2x3 box tubing and welded up drop sides. wbdodgeiv gave me some ideas on the hinges that I finally purchased from Northern Tool along with some spring loaded latches.

I have one side almost fully welded up.

Next, since I stretched the cab by 19" I needed a top that could be modified the same.
Since I didn't like the idea of trying to stretch a soft top, I opted to stretch a fiberglass top I purchased way back from Damon/DMA251.

I started by cutting the top from left to right so that I had a piece that would set fully on the back of the cab and a piece that would sit fully on the front wind shield and still wrap around the door frames.

Then it was a matter of taking Luann plywood, used for skinning doors and fiberglassing it into the open spaces between the two parts. After it was rigid, I started to fill in the areas that were not flat pieces and then cover the luann on both sides with fiberglass mat. I also wanted to keep the molded in roof supports so the top wouldn't flap in the wind as I drive down the canyon.

Then while the fiber glass cures, I selected a medium cure, but because of the 50-60F weather,it takes forever to cure, I weld and grind on the dropside bed.

Eventually I want to make the bed a dumper, so the flat bed will work better than the 105a2 with the wheel wells to hang stuff up on.

As for tires, she came with ten non-NDT 11.00x20s.
As I shortened the frame I used some 16.00x20 XLs that I got from Damon/DMA251's Hemmt project cast offs. But with all the oomf that the 16.00x20s take away from hill climbing I dropped to some 14.00x20ish stryker tires.

Attachments

Green_gator

Very nice, I like the idea of an extended cab. It looks like a bit easier fabrication job then a full blown four door and gives some needed extra room.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some more pix from cutting down the side.
Sorry they were taken at night and I don't have the software to lighten them up.
And a pic of the welding upgrade from my Lincoln 110, a Miller-matic.

Attachments

dozer1

Leg room you will have. How tall are you if you dont mind my asking. I am 6'2" and although these trucks arent idea fits for me, they are livable. You got a great project going and I will enjoy watching the progress.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, Stretch is 6 foot 15 inches or so and he makes out okay in his deuce. Anyone got a picture of that stringbean at the wheel?

Just sayin'.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5'20":p

It makes it easy for the little guys to do the math, not so many conversions.

For me it is more a problem of not being able to get my knee past between the wheel and the drivers door, to operate the clutch.

I guess I could have just used an automatic transmission.

The other option I found to use in my other rigs that I do not want to stretch is to modify/shrink the size of the steering wheel.

The wives tale of a 5 ton steering wheel swap in a deuce only work for those that are gut challenged. Which is me too, but.......

The Hemtt seats were not a solution either. They really change the orientation of your legs. The only way that works with them is if you get the seat as low as it will go, and maybe remove it mounting base.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey,

if the Germans were supposed to be the master race and all, wouldn't that have meant that they would have had more leg room in their military vehicles?

I know the Unimogs sure doesn't.

And the Kubelwagons and Schwimwagons have to be similar to a VW bugs, which I cant even get my right leg past the steering wheel in.

And those tanks.....

Master race huh?

But I guess the USA didn't do much better on leg room.

I am just saying.....aua

eldgenb

I was bidding on that truck last year when it went through, had two 5 tons at the time. Glad to see it stayed in the enthusiast side of the house. Looks good!

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glamor

Well there has been a little progress on stretching the top and welding up the drop side.
I was sunny for the first time in 2011 yesterday so I pulled the beast out of the pole barn and did some glamor shots.

:pEnjoy.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks