• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Winterize WC63

Rechts

Does anyone have any ideas on how to winterize a 1944 WC63. I've tried NOS thermostats and new stats with adapters but I'm unable to get them to last for longer than 6 months if that long. I've though about using post war grill covers but they didn't have them in WWII. I know they made field modifications but can't find proof of it.

Gary

nattieleather

You could make a field modification cover. Just because you don't have a picture of it doesn't mean some GI in the winter of 1944 didn't do it. If your looking for picture effidence I would look at all wwii dodges in winter settings and see if you can see any type of cover on the grill. Even a wood plank wired to the grill would be field mod proof. (which I recall seeing a pictue of a wwii dodge ambulance during the winter of 44 that had a something like that.) Good luck with you truck.

TedG

I have seen a Norwegian return WC63 that had a roll up winter grill cover that was behind the grill, before the radiator. It looked and acted like a spring loaded window blind only it was mounted at the bottom and the cover was pulled up to block the cold air. It was controlled by the driver via a string and it was very clever.

Wolf.Dose

Quickly I did not find a pic of a Dodge 6x6 winterized, however a Jimmy with a field winter modification. Picture taken February 1945 in Strassburg, pic is from the book The GMC a universal truck.
So, why other units should not have done simelar modifications. Everything is correct as long nobody can prove the oposite. One example for this: Many years ago, a friend of mine built a Model of a Panzer III in the Russian campain. A Visiter to our model exhibition said: In our Division, never ever fuel cans on the tank turet. Forbidden! However, the table top was built from an existing foto...

Think, this needs no further explanation!
Wolf

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks