• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What year M38A1?

harekutter

I recently purchased what I thought was a 1970 Willy's CJ5 with the dauntless engine. It had a funny vin number on the title that didn't match up to any chart I could find on the web. I searched all over the body in an attempt to find any VIN or serial number to no avail. About 6 months after purchasing the vehicle the past owner asked me if I'd like the data plate for the jeep as his kids had taken it off during a restoration! Low andbehold the plate was stamped MD 22850 with no delivery date. Now I sure it's a M38A1 as the headlights are recessed, shackels are the rear front, twin stick transfer, no tail gate etc etc. The dauntless must have been a repower. As a CJ5 it was just going to be a trail runner, for my kids, but as a M38A1 it has to be restored. I'm looking forward to the project but don't know what year it is so I can start ordering parts....... Would anyone happen to know what year the serial number correspondes with. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks....Scott

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site. Are you sure the first digit is a 2? The MD is correct. The M38A1's assembly run from 1952 to 1968 was mostly unchanged, except for the pivoting front grille and battery box cover. So you can say "I have a M38A1" and will get the right parts.

Buz

There were 29,769 M38A1's produced during 1952 the first year of production. Don't know if the serial numbers started with 00001 or 10000 so your Jeep could be either a 1952 or 1953 model based on that number.

WPNS421

Well not all M38A1 are the same. My wife owns a 1967 M38A1 Cdn2 and there are some diffences. Whenever I need some technical advice I call Peter DeBella jeeps, they have the knowledge and the parts. He might be able to help you with thwe serial number issue.
P.S. My wife owns ti, I maintain it.

Attachments

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M38a1

Hi , sounds like you may have a M-38A1 CDN3, last contract for the 38A1 for Canada, now let me ask some questions, rubber connectors on harness? M151 style aircleaner? alternator? larger self adjusting brakes ? late style gauges? steel brackets under rear wheel wells? pass. side taillight on bracket outside of rear panel with B/O marker light on top ? hope this helps ,
regards Frank

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks