• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Thanks for brake info

poppop

Next question. I recently bought two M51A2s and neither one has doors, windshelds or tops. There is an M35 four miles from me with a rod thru the block. It has sound doors, no glass and no latches. Windsheild frame but no glass. A hard top thats sound but needs some straighting out. No seats and no good tires but six wheels with bald tires. It was used by a house mover until it slug a rod. Is it worth $1000.00 to me for the parts I need and can I sell the drive train thats left? I guess I also need to double check and make sure the doors and top will fit a five ton.

rdixiemiller

I saw some deuces that looked complete, but don't know if they ran or not on the GLS auction that ended yesterday. They brought $970 to $1750. They had complete doors, tops, windows, etc. Of course, they are farther away than 4 miles.
Regards
Robert Miller

P.S. Where the Heck is Brooklet? I live in Carrollton, about 40 miles West of Atlanta.

poppop

Brooklet is 12 miles east of Statesboro, home of Ga Southern University. I have been to the antique tractor auction in Carrolton before.

Thanks for the reply

ICEMAN71

POPPOP-- yes the doors and cab will fit a five ton, so will the windshield frame as well as the glass. the hood and fenders will fit the cab but not on the five ton chassis.uncle sam used his head when designing the REO STYLE cab. it was used on the 2.5-ton, 5-ton, and 10-ton truck chassis they just attached a different set of fenders and hood for each type of truck.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Poppop See how far you can beat the guy down on the deuce. I would be interested in the frame and running gear. We might be able to split the cost of the truck if he will get the price really right.
Regards
Robert Miller

rdixiemiller

Thanks! I would not make an offer that is any higher thanthe value of the parts you want, sounds like this one has had a hard life. Is the truck all butchered up?
Regards
Robert Miller

poppop

Its been used hard but the frame has not been altered and the sheet metal is not terrably banged up. The bed sides have been cut off and a winch mounted thur a hole cut in the floor and an A frame mounted in the bed to lift with.

Attachments

rdixiemiller

Is he going to take the winch out? or sell it with the truck? He might come down on the price if you didn't want the winch. Personally, I would be leery of a winch that has been used by housemovers, they really get a work out! Is it welded to the frame?
Sounds like this one would be mainly a parts truck, it would probably not be worth getting driveable again.
I might have to drive down and see it sometime next week, it would also give me a chance to meet you in person and see your fleet of toys!
Regards
Robert Miller

poppop

Hey Robert

Just left you a reply on the 5 ton site. Payed a visit to the truck today. Its at a machine shop nearby. The owner of the shop is kin to the owner of the truck. He wants the truck moved and told me today that I could probably get it for 600 and him keep the tires for his house dollies. The hard top is metal and is caved in some but I think it will straighten out OK. The doors are sound and have glass but will need new regulators and latches. I think the winch stays but is not a military winch. I could use it on one of my farm trucks to load disabled equipment. I don't think its reasonable to fix this truck as you can buy one in much better condition from the government. But all running gear is good and all parts of the motor except crank and block. I told him I would take it for the 600. I'll be around this weekend so let me know if you want to come down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks