• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule serial number database

Charlie

Some of you guys have helped me in the past, and I thank you. For the new mule owners, I have beed collecting mule information for my database, and have over 500 entries. If you would like to send me your information, I would appreciate it. I need Manufacturer's Serial Number, Registration Number, Delivery date, Contract Number, and Model. Info can be found on the data plate as shown below. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Data Plate reads it's US army

Nat stock No: 2320-00-074-1167

MFG By : Baifield

VeH.IDENT.NO KM000016

MFR.Part No 8736605

Engine : 2 cyl, 4 cycle Continental air-cooled gas KM000016
frist of 16 engines off the line been told

Contract No : DAN184AMC39T

Date Of Del : 4-1964

been told mine was a M274 upgraded to a M274A2. by the new 2 Cyl motor

and new A2 bed because my trans axle has weld marks where the starter go"s

Charlie

Your mule may be something special, possibly an A2 prototype. The M274A2 was a standard production mule, no conversions, built by Bowen-McLaughin-York in 1965/66. When the M274 was upgraded to the 2-cylinder, it was re-taged as an M274A3, and the M274A1 became the M274A4. All my research says that the A3 conversions were done by Bowen-McLaughin-York under contract DA-20-113-AMC-03624(T), and the A4 conversions were done by Kaiser Jeep Corp. under contract DA-33-0190ORD-4051. Baifield Industries built the first series of the A5 mules, and I don't have any record of them doing any of the 4-cylinder to 2-cylinder conversion work. The 1964 date throws a kink in things because that's when most of the A4 conversions were done. Would it be possible for you to send me a photo of your data plate? Also, please look at the transaxle housing where the starter mounts and let me know which one it looks like in the photos below. I appreciate any info you can provide. Thanks!

Attachments

Charlie

Thanks, I remember these data plates now. Different than anything else I've ever seen. That's a real early engine for sure. I really think think this may have been one of the early mockups that Baifield did, possibly as an attempt to get the A2 contract. You've got a jewel there, don't let her get away!

Last edited:

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Serial # M274 10657
Contract # DA-33-019-ORD-2217
Registration Number is blank on the dataplate but the mule is marked
USMC 232937
Del Date: 4-58
Model M274
Maker Willys Motors Inc

This is an original USMC 106mm Mule

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks