• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat Transfer Case and Front Differential Change

1958 M274

A few weeks ago I needed to change a transfer case and front differential in a recently acquired gama goat project owned by the Montgomery County Military Museum in Mt. Ida, AR. Here are several pictures of the process. I think they are pretty much self explanatory, but I will point out that it needs to be in 6WD before removing the transfer case. This allows the shift fork to retain the sliding collar that engages/disengages the front wheel drive. As you can see from the pictures, when I removed the NOS transfer case from the crate, it was not in 6WD and the sliding collar had disappeared! I found it wedged in the top of the transfer case, and was able to fish it out. Also, it was very challenging to line up all of the studs in the transfer case and the spline shaft on the differential when sliding the new transfer case forward into place. If I had it to do over again I'd take a small rat tail file and carefully clean out the holes in the hull and front differential housing where the studs slide in. I think it had oxidized some in those holes and since it is a precise fit, it was kind of like dealing with a stuck, slightly corroded aluminum or magnesium wheel...

Here's a video too:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX91A6paHNQ[/media]

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I know why I don't have a desire to own a Gama Goat. Thanks Joe, I'll keep these pics with my 5 ton brake drum. Everytime I consider buying a 5 ton or goat, I'll go lift that drum and check out the pics.

1958 M274

This really wasn't that bad of a project. I had a cold when I did this and other things to take care of, so I didn't get to work on it more than an hour or two a day sometimes. If I had felt better and been able to work uninterrupted, the transfer case swap by it self would probably have been a one day project. Doing the front differential too, two days shouldn't have been a problem.

Kenny,
I know what you mean about those 5 ton brake drums! I always pull the hub and drum together using an engine hoist to support the load. Makes it a lot easier than trying to balance it on a jack!

Frenchman,
To answer your questions from the other thread, I didn't have any gaskets. I just scraped the sealing surfaces, cleaned them with mineral spirits, and used silicone sealer. Worked fine! Since it's just a splined shaft on the differential that slides into the transfer case, the gaskets are not necessary like they are when installing a transmission driven PTO or similar part, where they are required to shim gears properly.

A jack under the front differential will not be necessary for you when just changing the transfer case. There are two bolts that go through the top of the differential housing that hold it in place.

This transfer case came from Red River too. Just be sure that your oil pump is working properly! I had to remove this one and fiddle with the check valves, then prime it and the supply line with oil.

Gamagoat1

Great Job Joe!!

A tip for all Goat drivers, Check the bolts and nuts that hold the front diff to the hull/transfer case, every once in a while. They come loose and will cause bad things to happen to the transfer case. If you add some Lucas gear oil additive to the transfer you'll never have to worry about loosing prime in the pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks