• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding a winch to a WO/W truck

The PIG Smith

I've searched and I thought this would be a popular modification.
I found a few posts of adding a winch to a Deuce, but not to a 5 ton.

So, what is involved?
The obvious is obtaining the winch and mounts, bolting it onto the front of the truck...no biggie...just some wrench turning.

However, what about the PTO device that hangs off the transmission?
and the linkage/shifter?
and driveshaft?
I've not looked under a 5 ton in many years, so I have no idea what all involved under there.

Is it worth pay the extra several thousand $$$ for a W/W truck to begin with?
Can a winch be added to a WO/W truck on a budget?

Just how expensive are Winch Kits?

eldgenb

it probably would be worth waiting for a winch truck if yo do not already have one. You would have to obtain all of the things you mentioned to do it correct, pto, drive shaft, winch, bumper extensions, linkage, shifter etc. would be a direct bolt in if you did find it all.
that is more likely than not why you cannot find any threads about it.

davidkroberts

my buddy just added a 18K warn Electric 24V winch in his and it is a much much cleaner install than a stock PTO. That sucker sucks right up to the lower radiator support and mounted nicely

Bighurt

You don't mention what five ton model you are wanting to install a winch on. I only ask because the M820 never came with a winch however, it's possible to put one on it.

I would either find the truck I want with a winch or if I have a truck I like and want to add I'd find a junker and part it out.

Either way you are going to have to pay a bit for what you want.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good advice, it is roughly the same as the 2-1/2, just larger. The big deal is properly shimming the PTO to the transfer. It is all the "little pieces" that make it a pain.

Csm Davis

Adding a winch is not as easy as it sounds but can be done for me it would be worth it only if you are getting a truck that is hard to find with one already on it. Also I have added one to a few trucks and the linkage and pto are the hard parts.

jet.van

is the 24volt industrial warn winch strong enuff for the 5 ton??? they are expensive but should be a much easier install.. that my 2 cents.and id use the warn..

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my buddy just added a 18K warn Electric 24V winch in his and it is a much much cleaner install than a stock PTO. That sucker sucks right up to the lower radiator support and mounted nicely
Could you get some pics of the installation and post them please?
I have an A3, I want a winch on it eventually.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
No matter if you have a 800 series or a 939 series 5 ton, I'd pass and either buy one with a winch OR install a civilian WARN winch. You should also have a full conversation with yourself about if/how much you would really use the winch. I've used my twice in 2 years and both times were winching trucks onto a trailer which I think using a snatch block and cable would have been just as effective. I had originally planned to use mine for lifting with an A frame but still am waiting to build the A frame.

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Its alot of work,I have done it quite a few times.I just put a winch on my M35a3,It took about 2 days to remove it and reinstall it.Its alot more work with a hyd winch.All the air lines,hyd lines and hyd pump and mounting bolts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks